BIAB Brewing (with pics) - Page 161 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #1601
ChrisL_
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 235
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts


I am with you gnarly


I have only completed 2 batches and love BIAB and am also already sick of bottling and have bought a keg and co2 tank for my next batch.

Chris
__________________
Keg #1 Yoopers Malty Amber
Keg #2 Janet's Brown
Keg #3 Pilsnear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #1602
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,378
Liked 224 Times on 181 Posts


I don't quite get when you say splitting up the 10 gal batch. You are just doing two 5 gal batches back to back days. I'd make separate starters and ferment separately. You're just doing 2 batches of the same recipe. No need to make it complicated.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #1603
gnarlyhopper
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Maple Falls, WA
Posts: 28
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


mtnagel,

I couldn't brew a 10-gallon batch all at once. I can get a larger fermentation bucket, but not another stockpot! Right now I am thinking "lawnmower beer", something that will be tapped often.

I see I am getting a little edgy. I need to brew pretty soon!

ChrisL,

When bottling days started to get longer, and more and more room was dedicated to bottles, and occasional flat uncarbed bottles appeared, it was time to change. The CO2 should help minimize all the problems.


Cheers!


-gnarlyhopper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1604
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,703
Liked 1466 Times on 1116 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I don't quite get when you say splitting up the 10 gal batch. You are just doing two 5 gal batches back to back days. I'd make separate starters and ferment separately. You're just doing 2 batches of the same recipe. No need to make it complicated.
Doing two successive brews and one fermentation is known as a Texas two step, I have done it and it works! JMO but doing two seperate starters and two seperate batches is complicated in my world! Do keep an eye on fermentation temps, with a larger batch size comes more heat generated from fermentation.

Gnarly,

You are going to love kegging! Perfect carbonation at the touch of a dial, no more sanitizing bottles....priceless!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #1605
TangoHotel
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 1,159
Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts


I made the move to BIAB amoth ago when I reformulated my IPA from extraxt to all grain. I can't believe the difference! This thread was very helpful!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #1606
MMJfan
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHotel View Post
I made the move to BIAB amoth ago when I reformulated my IPA from extraxt to all grain. I can't believe the difference! This thread was very helpful!
This is how it was for me as well. I thought the beer I was making using extracts were good. That is until I made my first AG doing BIAB...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #1607
TangoHotel
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 1,159
Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts


I pulled a sample on friday after a week in the bottle (I'm so impatient it isn't even funny). I had the sample when I was botling and thought "when this is cold and carbed, its going to be great." I had it cold and the carb was coming through, and immediately sent out a batch text to all my IPA drinking friends about it. Nedless to say this stuff won't last long. I think I should get to brewing a second and third batch soon!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1608
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,378
Liked 224 Times on 181 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyhopper View Post
mtnagel,

I couldn't brew a 10-gallon batch all at once. I can get a larger fermentation bucket, but not another stockpot! Right now I am thinking "lawnmower beer", something that will be tapped often.

I see I am getting a little edgy. I need to brew pretty soon!

-gnarlyhopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Doing two successive brews and one fermentation is known as a Texas two step, I have done it and it works! JMO but doing two seperate starters and two seperate batches is complicated in my world! Do keep an eye on fermentation temps, with a larger batch size comes more heat generated from fermentation.
Sorry, but still not getting it. So you are fermenting the 2 batches in 1 container that is 10 gal+?

I've done 10 gal batches (partial boil extracts) with one starter before and fermented in 2 six gal buckets. Now that I'm doing full boil BIAB AG, I still don't see why it's so bad to just make 2 batches and ferment separately. So what is the advantage to this method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHotel View Post
I made the move to BIAB amoth ago when I reformulated my IPA from extraxt to all grain. I can't believe the difference! This thread was very helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
This is how it was for me as well. I thought the beer I was making using extracts were good. That is until I made my first AG doing BIAB...
I just tasted my very first BIAB AG beer and it was awesome. If this is a sign of things to come, I can't wait to do more BIAB!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #1609
TangoHotel
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 1,159
Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I just tasted my very first BIAB AG beer and it was awesome. If this is a sign of things to come, I can't wait to do more BIAB!
Now I need to reformulate all my extract recipes...oh well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #1610
TheJasonT
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 408
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts


It's a lot easier than you think
__________________
Thrive Brewing Company
www.facebook.com/PolarisBrewing
F1 - Empty F2 - Empty F3 - Empty F4 - Empty

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another first BIAB stunsm BIAB Brewing 12 03-17-2013 09:35 PM
Anyone BIAB? ultravista All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 72 08-31-2012 12:50 AM
1st AG, 1st BIAB results w/ pics mattmcl All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 09-13-2011 01:48 AM
A nice Podcast on BIAB from one of the Pioneers of BIAB gunner65 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 02-26-2011 01:24 AM
Brew day - brewing a duvel clone! (pics attached) Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-22-2007 02:29 PM


Forum Jump