Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

Old 05-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #1601
ChrisL_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am with you gnarly

I have only completed 2 batches and love BIAB and am also already sick of bottling and have bought a keg and co2 tank for my next batch.

Chris

Keg #1 Peach Cobbler Ale
Keg #2 Air
Keg #3 El Dorado Pale Ale

Old 05-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #1602
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 197

I don't quite get when you say splitting up the 10 gal batch. You are just doing two 5 gal batches back to back days. I'd make separate starters and ferment separately. You're just doing 2 batches of the same recipe. No need to make it complicated.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #1603
gnarlyhopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

mtnagel,

I couldn't brew a 10-gallon batch all at once. I can get a larger fermentation bucket, but not another stockpot! Right now I am thinking "lawnmower beer", something that will be tapped often.

I see I am getting a little edgy. I need to brew pretty soon!

ChrisL,

When bottling days started to get longer, and more and more room was dedicated to bottles, and occasional flat uncarbed bottles appeared, it was time to change. The CO2 should help minimize all the problems.

Cheers!

-gnarlyhopper

Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1604
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 858 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I don't quite get when you say splitting up the 10 gal batch. You are just doing two 5 gal batches back to back days. I'd make separate starters and ferment separately. You're just doing 2 batches of the same recipe. No need to make it complicated.
Doing two successive brews and one fermentation is known as a Texas two step, I have done it and it works! JMO but doing two seperate starters and two seperate batches is complicated in my world! Do keep an eye on fermentation temps, with a larger batch size comes more heat generated from fermentation.

Gnarly,

You are going to love kegging! Perfect carbonation at the touch of a dial, no more sanitizing bottles....priceless!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #1605
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts

I made the move to BIAB amoth ago when I reformulated my IPA from extraxt to all grain. I can't believe the difference! This thread was very helpful!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #1606
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHotel View Post
I made the move to BIAB amoth ago when I reformulated my IPA from extraxt to all grain. I can't believe the difference! This thread was very helpful!
This is how it was for me as well. I thought the beer I was making using extracts were good. That is until I made my first AG doing BIAB...

Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #1607
TangoHotel
Recipes 

I pulled a sample on friday after a week in the bottle (I'm so impatient it isn't even funny). I had the sample when I was botling and thought "when this is cold and carbed, its going to be great." I had it cold and the carb was coming through, and immediately sent out a batch text to all my IPA drinking friends about it. Nedless to say this stuff won't last long. I think I should get to brewing a second and third batch soon!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1608
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyhopper View Post
mtnagel,

I couldn't brew a 10-gallon batch all at once. I can get a larger fermentation bucket, but not another stockpot! Right now I am thinking "lawnmower beer", something that will be tapped often.

I see I am getting a little edgy. I need to brew pretty soon!

-gnarlyhopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Doing two successive brews and one fermentation is known as a Texas two step, I have done it and it works! JMO but doing two seperate starters and two seperate batches is complicated in my world! Do keep an eye on fermentation temps, with a larger batch size comes more heat generated from fermentation.
Sorry, but still not getting it. So you are fermenting the 2 batches in 1 container that is 10 gal+?

I've done 10 gal batches (partial boil extracts) with one starter before and fermented in 2 six gal buckets. Now that I'm doing full boil BIAB AG, I still don't see why it's so bad to just make 2 batches and ferment separately. So what is the advantage to this method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHotel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
This is how it was for me as well. I thought the beer I was making using extracts were good. That is until I made my first AG doing BIAB...
I just tasted my very first BIAB AG beer and it was awesome. If this is a sign of things to come, I can't wait to do more BIAB!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #1609
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I just tasted my very first BIAB AG beer and it was awesome. If this is a sign of things to come, I can't wait to do more BIAB!
Now I need to reformulate all my extract recipes...oh well.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #1610
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's a lot easier than you think