Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #1491
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ View Post
Does anyone steep their specialty grains separately at the end of the mash instead of mashing them with your base malt?
Any particular reason? Some people add dark grains to the end of their mash/sparge if they want color but not as much flavor, and I suppose it's possible to do a partigyle with BIAB (remove bag, don't squeeze, add grains, dunk sparge/soak as "second runnings"), but otherwise I don't see why you would need to.

Primary:

Kegged: Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Smoked Wit; Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #1492
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 93

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/anyo...rsmith-332735/

Some people in my HBC were discussing it, and I had started listening to this podcast with Gordon Strong where he talks about steeping. Thought I would see if any BIAB guys did it, and what they thought of it.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #1493
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:

Some people in my HBC were discussing it, and I had started listening to this podcast with Gordon Strong where he talks about steeping. Thought I would see if any BIAB guys did it, and what they thought of it.
Couldn't hurt. Would work perfect if you wanted a little extra darkness on an amber or brown. I'd do it next but plan on doing something a little lighter

Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #1494
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Yeah, my next batch is a pale too.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #1495
mathin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

I have heard about (probably on Basic Brewing's podcast) people not putting the darker specialty grains in the mash because they affect pH ... which meant they needed to add stuff to adjust the mash pH and they didn't want to add the extra stuff to their beer.

I haven't experimented with this personally. (I don't make a lot of dark beers right now.)

Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #1496
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathin View Post
I have heard about (probably on Basic Brewing's podcast) people not putting the darker specialty grains in the mash because they affect pH ... which meant they needed to add stuff to adjust the mash pH and they didn't want to add the extra stuff to their beer.

I haven't experimented with this personally. (I don't make a lot of dark beers right now.)
+1 on that. I heard Mike "Tasty" McDole discuss this on the Sunday Session. Basically the additional kilning used to darken the grain results in the grain providing few if any fermentables. Added to the fact that heating this dark grains messes with the pH were the reasons that Tasty stated he simply cold steeps his dark grains and then adds in "the tea" after the mash.

Chris

Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #1497
TBaGZ
Recipes 

He does it cold, huh? Just room temp water?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #1498
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just did my first all grain batch.

Got some 5 gal paint strainer bags from lowes (like everyone seems to) and brewed an English mild. Hit 72% efficiency! Not bad for a first time. Especially since I fscked up my temperatures!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #1499
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ
He does it cold, huh? Just room temp water?
That is what he said. I have not done it myself as I have note done a dark beer.
Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #1500
mirogster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL_

+1 on that. I heard Mike "Tasty" McDole discuss this on the Sunday Session. Basically the additional kilning used to darken the grain results in the grain providing few if any fermentables. Added to the fact that heating this dark grains messes with the pH were the reasons that Tasty stated he simply cold steeps his dark grains and then adds in "the tea" after the mash.

Chris
Exactly. Really dark, roasted grains are lowering (acidification) mash pH. For some people (with more alkaline water) it's really good . No need to use crazy additions of various salts or acids just to place your mash in desired pH range-of course when brewing dark beers
Also Jamil was mentioning that sometimes he's pulverizing dark/black malts (in coffie grinder, magic bullet etc), just to add it to the mash, before sparging.