Originally Posted by maacoman
I used the hydro 8 days after fermenting started and it read 1.12. Now after 11 days the airlock bubbles every 55 seconds. I was told to wait for 90 second gaps between than bottle. Ill check the hydro again, I just fear removing the airlock and contaminating the brew.
Well, bottling before the beer is ready is scarier than checking the SG. I'd suggest waiting until the SG has been stable for at least three days, but not bottling before 3 weeks total.
Bottle bombs are no joke, counting bubbles before bottling isn't a good way to see if the beer will explode in the bottle or not. Some airlocks bubble because a high pressure front moved in. Some don't bubble because there is a small air leak. NEVER bottle until the SG is stable, no matter what. The beer will be better if you wait three weeks before bottling. Think about it- a cloudy beer will have sediment in it that will drop out with some time. If you bottle quickly, not only do you risk bottle bombs, but all of the gunk that falls out of suspension will fall out in the bottle. So you'll have that crud in the bottom of the bottle.
If you wait until the beer is completely finished, then wait another week or two, you have 0 risk of bottle bombs. And if the beer is clear when you bottle it, you'll have a minimal amount of sediment in your bottles.
I'd prefer the last option.