Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > White Labs Clarity Ferm

Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
pwkblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default old thread but..

I realize this is an older thread. Since Clarity Ferm is still relatively new, and many search the forums for information....I thought it would be good to correct some info.

White Labs is very clear: clarity ferm works as a "preventive" measure to keep long chain proteins from forming during fermentation....it does not "break down" the proteins once they have formed. The directions call for the product to be added when the yeast is pitched...adding the product after fermentation will have very little benefit.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #12
FLJohnson
Recipes 

This statement makes no sense. The enzyme is a prolyl endoprotease. It acts to cleave proteins where proline is located. The enzyme has nothing to do with formation of proteins.

The question remains, "Why would it be required or best to be added at the time of pitching the yeast." Unless conditions for the enzyme are not as favorable after fermentation than before fermentation, there is no explanation of why the enzyme couldn't be effective after fermentation.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I think you just add it at pitching to give it a longer residence time in the beer at warmer temps; fermentation is usually the warmest you're going to store any beer for a reasonable length of time. Usually, once fermentation is over, people will chill the beer, and transfer it to kegs then store it cold. The enzyme probably doesn't work well at fridge temps. If you're bottle conditioning, though, I bet you could add it at bottling and be fine.

I've used it 3-4 times with pale lagers, and been very impressed. It gives a really clear beer, as advertised, without chill haze (I've had problems with that in the past).