White Labs Clarity Ferm - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > White Labs Clarity Ferm

Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
pwkblue
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Sandy, Utah
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I realize this is an older thread. Since Clarity Ferm is still relatively new, and many search the forums for information....I thought it would be good to correct some info.

White Labs is very clear: clarity ferm works as a "preventive" measure to keep long chain proteins from forming during fermentation....it does not "break down" the proteins once they have formed. The directions call for the product to be added when the yeast is pitched...adding the product after fermentation will have very little benefit.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #12
FLJohnson
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Apex, North Carolina, USA

This statement makes no sense. The enzyme is a prolyl endoprotease. It acts to cleave proteins where proline is located. The enzyme has nothing to do with formation of proteins.

The question remains, "Why would it be required or best to be added at the time of pitching the yeast." Unless conditions for the enzyme are not as favorable after fermentation than before fermentation, there is no explanation of why the enzyme couldn't be effective after fermentation.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Denver, CO
Liked 126 Times on 95 Posts

I think you just add it at pitching to give it a longer residence time in the beer at warmer temps; fermentation is usually the warmest you're going to store any beer for a reasonable length of time. Usually, once fermentation is over, people will chill the beer, and transfer it to kegs then store it cold. The enzyme probably doesn't work well at fridge temps. If you're bottle conditioning, though, I bet you could add it at bottling and be fine.

I've used it 3-4 times with pale lagers, and been very impressed. It gives a really clear beer, as advertised, without chill haze (I've had problems with that in the past).

Old 06-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #14
Gameface
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 483 Times on 280 Posts

Seems like a decent place to post my question.

What is clarity ferm made from? What are the chemicals in it that make it do what it does?

Can I make my own clarity ferm?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Seems like a decent place to post my question.

What is clarity ferm made from? What are the chemicals in it that make it do what it does?

Can I make my own clarity ferm?
From the White Labs spec sheet:
Quote:
Enzyme containing proline-specific endo-protease derived from a selected strain of Aspergillus niger

You can find the spec sheet here https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/defa...heet%205Kg.pdf

Gameface Likes This