Give a customer and inch and they will take a mile - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Give a customer and inch and they will take a mile

Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
SwampassJ

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts

So we have a customer who asked us if we could hold off billing him for the months of January and February because money was tight but he could pay us in March. Sent out the bills for the three months 2 weeks ago and nothing returned. Called him last Wednesday and no answer at the house so I make it a point to go back out of my way in the evening to hand deliver the bill Wednesday night, two cars in front of the garage and lights are on. No answer at the door.

Fast forward to yesterday I call and still no answer, I'm in his neighborhood at 7am so I knock again hoping to be just a little annoying. No answer, both cars out front but no lights on this morning. Original bill isn't wedged into the door anymore.

I drive by again about an hour ago because this guy has been dodging my calls and my visits and I don't want him to say he never received the bills. Red car parked on the street, never seen it at the house before because I'm not in the neighborhood on Tuesday. I knock and I get an answer, it's the maid.... I ask about where Mr. G is and she tells me he won't be back till Thursday morning, he left on a cruise with Mrs. G Monday night...

Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3511 Times on 3325 Posts

Wow, a maid and cruises, but can't pay bills.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

May 2009
Madison, WI
Liked 530 Times on 402 Posts

Wow, that's some dickish chutzpah on the customer's part.
murr
Kegged
I have kegs?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
BendBrewer

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Bend, Oregon
Liked 78 Times on 60 Posts

We have a client that owes up about 20 grand. He kept making and breaking promises. We sent him to collections and now he's having to deal with a collections firm in Court. We'll get our money eventually and have let someone else deal with it.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Wow.

Do you need his business? That's not a person I would want to do business with.

You should have charged him "deferred interest".

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
jmendez29

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 156 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Wow.

Do you need his business? That's not a person I would want to do business with.

You should have charged him "deferred interest".
I like this idea. Maybe get some kind of signed delivery with a note that he will be charged "deferred interest" if he doesn't pay up by X date. Don't know if that's legal or not, but I'm sure its a whole lot more legal than a sledgehammer to his two cars parked out front.

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2577 Times on 1429 Posts

Maybe they'll both come down with norovirus, I hope they do. In the meantime, sounds like it's lawsuit/collection agency time to me. Good luck getting you money out of these deadbeats. Regards, GF.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
bknifefight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
PA
Liked 111 Times on 82 Posts

What business are you in?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
bmud0314
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Albion, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My dad had his woods thinned out in January of 2001. We kept waiting for the check throughout winter/spring. Dad started making more and more frequent calls in the summertime. One excuse he used was that the lumber market was kinda tight so he needed to move some wood before he could pay us but with the market, things were really tough with him. A few weeks later Dad drove over to his place. Found guys adult son and asked where his dad was: In alaska. On a cruise. Douche. We got paid eventually.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Maybe they'll both come down with norovirus, I hope they do. In the meantime, sounds like it's lawsuit/collection agency time to me. Good luck getting you money out of these deadbeats. Regards, GF.
Thing is, he can't really take the guy to collections because the customer wasn't billed until just recently. He's not in violation of any legal committments. The OP here just got taken advantage of, which sucks.

OP can certainly cease doing business with him, and let others in his field know what a realy "stand up guy" the customer is.

But I don't think there's any room for legal recourse.

Of course, IAmNAL.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.