WTB: Partial wholesale honey for mead - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > WTB: Partial wholesale honey for mead

Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
WhimWhamWhom

Recipes 

Apr 2009
North AL

I am looking for 60lbs (5gal) of honey for purchase at a reasonable price, I do not retail...I just make mead. I would like to strive for the total purchase (Including shipping), to average somewhere near $3-ish a pound. (I probably could buy two a year if I got lucky. Im also could see if I can find friends for group buys if possible). My local connection can get me a gallon at most per year. I would like to stick to local or AL state/Southern TN honey but Im open for any suggestions around the US. Ive only found maybe one or two that could handle that in the US. Feel free to message me or email.

[email protected]

Tha' Shizzatz

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
ellisonsj
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only place I've found is www.beefolks.com. You're looking at $4 per pound there for a 5 gallon bucket plus shipping. They do have a great selection though. I haven't ordered from them myself, but they are recommended by www.gotmead.com.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
jaginger
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Hartford, CT
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

no idea the quality, but costo near me sells honey for $2/lb. That may or may not suit your needs.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
rtrevino

Recipes 

Apr 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Honey is some heavy stuff so your going to be looking at some cost with shipping, no matter where you buy from. My father is a beer keeper here in S. Texas and I would hook up anyone on HBTalk with a good price in the honey but again, the stuff is very dense.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
jaginger
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Hartford, CT
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Parcel post might be a fairly reasonable way to ship.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Minnesota
Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts

If you are interested, I can get Wisconsin honey (mix of plant sources for bees and some of the honey is pretty dark) in 5 gal buckets for about $3.15 lb. Not sure what freight would be...
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
stephm

Recipes 

Dec 2009
US
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

GloryBee in Oregon specialized in honey and bee products. They have Northwest honey as well as honey from overseas. That's where I plan on getting my mead honey.

But I am biased since they are in my home town Eugene.

http://www.glorybee.com/glorybee/HoneyBee.html

Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
Mischief_Brewing

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I use these guys out of NJ.

http://www.fruitwoodorchardshoney.co..._products.html

Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

Have you tried contacting all of the homebrew clubs within a certain radius and asking them where their mead makers get their honey? There is a beekeeper/mead maker in my homebrew club that brings a bunch of honey to every meeting and sells a full gallon (12+ lb) of wildflower honey for $25. He brings at least 10 gal to every meeting and is always making several trips to his truck.

Or just try to find a beekeeper that's not too far away.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
lastsecondapex

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginger
no idea the quality, but costo near me sells honey for $2/lb. That may or may not suit your needs.
+1, Sam's and costco are $2.00/lb. For all natural clover honey. It comes in a 5lb container- only afforable option in my mind