S-189 Will you be my valentine? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S-189 Will you be my valentine?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
trigger

Recipes 

Aug 2010
portland
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, I'm in love. I'm sipping my American Pils that's been lagering for exactly 1 month and I have to say that this yeast is amazing. It let every bit of those subtle Glacier hops come through and didn't make a single ester. Basically what I'm saying is that you can't taste it. Am I crazy?

Another thing I can't get over is that I pitched 12g in a 5.5 gal batch and I had krausen in less than 10 hours. It was ready for the D-rest in about 8 days on a 1.051 O.G. wort at 10 C.

This was my first time using this yeast, so totally annecdotal at this point, but I'm going to make up a slew of lawnmowers with it to get me through the summer.
The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 03-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
zgoda
Recipes 

Sep 2010
, Poland
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is this yeast available in 11.5g packets? I cann't find any other option than 500g pack.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
larrynoz
Recipes 

Dec 2009
NY, New Jork
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/pr...oducts_id=2349

This place has 11g packets.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3404 Times on 3249 Posts

One tiny pack with no starter or anything? I thought starters were do or die with lagers?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
larrynoz
Recipes 

Dec 2009
NY, New Jork
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

With dry yeast you don't want to make a starter, just rehydrate per directions on the pack. There's plenty of cells to pitch and if you add dry yeast directly to wort without giving them a chance to rehydrate you will lose a lot of the cells.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6706 Times on 3963 Posts

Great thread title. Thanks.

I'll do a side-by-side with this yeast and another on my next pils.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
HarkJohnny
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Cincy-Nati
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the info... i really need to start working some lagers into my brewing schedule

Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
trigger

Recipes 

Aug 2010
portland
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
One tiny pack with no starter or anything? I thought starters were do or die with lagers?
With liquid yeasts yea, starters are all but mandatory. With dry yeasts not really. MrMalty says that I should have used 2 12g packs, but I often chose to ignore that. In this case the result was quite nice, and considering how quickly fermentation began and finished I think my pitch rate was fine.
The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein