Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > NB Le Terroir

Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
antiteam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used the Roselare blend on the first batch. However, I've recently moved and my new LHBS carries White Labs, so I grabbed a WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix. This thread on the Brewing Network board mentions that the key difference seems to be that the Roselare blend also includes a sherry strain.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/for...22588&p=221789

Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
BrewSkies
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiteam View Post
Quick update on this. Brewed on 8/6/11. Let sit for a year on the bugs then dry hopped and bottled. This is one of my favorite beers I've ever brewed. Going to brew it again soon.

BrewSkies: In your original post you listed carapils, but don't see it in the list of grains with weights. Do you recall how much you used? I don't think I included any when I brewed mine but considering adding some next time. Also, did you use flaked or malted wheat and oats?
Actually never got to brew this one, I deployed and then kind of forgot about it. I'm really happy somebody tried out the recipe, and glad it was a hit! I may have to give it a try in the near future...

Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
antiteam
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

You definitely should try it out! Just brewed it again last weekend. Hoping to be enjoying this batch a bit sooner than a year from now.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
banik
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. I'm drinking my first bottle of Le Terroir right now. As soon as I smelled it, I knew it was going to be good. Now, here I am - looking for a clone recipe.

Antiteam - Did you brew this exactly as posted? Did you make any changes? I'm going to be trying this in a week or two.

Man this is a good beer.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
antiteam
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banik View Post
Ok. I'm drinking my first bottle of Le Terroir right now. As soon as I smelled it, I knew it was going to be good. Now, here I am - looking for a clone recipe.

Antiteam - Did you brew this exactly as posted? Did you make any changes? I'm going to be trying this in a week or two.

Man this is a good beer.
When it hit the market this year I went around to my local liquor stores and bought up a case and a half.

I did a side-by-side tasting and it's almost spot on. Mine was clearer (it has been in a bottle for over a year) and has a bit less hop aroma (for the same reason) but it's incredibly close.

When I first brewed this recipe, I put it on the yeast cake of another sour I had done with Roselare blend. It didn't take off, so a few days later I ended up adding a fresh pack of Roselare blend. The beer ended up really sour in the end, likely due to the fact that there was a higher presence of souring bugs.

The second time I brewed it, I just pitched a single pack of Roselare. 4 months later, I tasted and it wasn't very sour. I grabbed a second packet and pitched. That was about a month ago and I'm starting to see a really funky looking pellicle forming, so it must be doing it's job. I probably could have instead pitched some other blend of souring organisms, but the Roselare seems to be doing what I need it to do.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
dbrulet
Recipes 

Hey Antiteam...I am very interested in trying this clone. Can you post the final recipe you used that ended up the best? I am a little confused as to what worked and didn't so if you could post that, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
antiteam
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I mostly followed BrewSkies original guess on a recipe for grain bill and hops. My first, and so far best, attempt was:

Le Terroir Clone

Grains
7 lbs 2-row
3 lbs Unmalted Wheat
1 lb Flaked Oats
1/2 oz Crystal 80

Hops
1 oz Target @ 60 min
1/2 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop 7 days before bottling)
1/2 oz Cascade (Dry Hop 7 days before bottling)

Yeast
Pitched on a yeast cake from a different sour that had been aging for a full year (that used Wyeast Roselare Blend #3763)
Three days later, I added a new pouch of Wyeast Roselare Blend #3763 to help kick off primary fermentation

Notes:
  • I believe I mashed this pretty high to give the sour bugs sugars to work on; Likely 158-ish
  • To give the souring organisms a place to live and impart a bit of oak flavor, I toasted an oak dowel and replaced the airlock with the dowel after a couple of months; There is lots of info on this process all over HBT
  • Primary fermentation died down after about a week; I didn't rack at all, I just left it as-is for aging on top of the yeast cake
  • Aged for just over one year like that; A week before I wanted to bottle, I dropped in the dry hops
  • You may or may not get a pellicle forming; I've seen both happen
  • When I transferred to my bottling bucket with priming sugar I also added a packet of US05 to help with carbonation, since after a year there isn't much viable Sacc in suspension to carbonate.
  • If you can't get unmalted wheat, flaked wheat, torrified wheat, or malted wheat will still work

I think that what really made that first batch awesome was re-using the yeast cake from the previous sour (because it brought so many bugs into the mix) then pitching more of the blend on top of it. I know that not everyone has something like that around - I didn't the most recent time I've brewed this - so what I'm trying out this go-around is:
  1. Pitch a pouch of Roselare Blend after the wort cools
  2. Allow for primary fermentation to run its course
  3. Let sit on the yeast cake after primary is done
  4. Pitch another pouch of the Roselare blend 3 months later to introduce even more souring bugs
  5. Age for another 9 months
People Like This 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #18
turny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiteam View Post
  1. Pitch a pouch of Roselare Blend after the wort cools
  2. Allow for primary fermentation to run its course
  3. Let sit on the yeast cake after primary is done
  4. Pitch another pouch of the Roselare blend 3 months later to introduce even more souring bugs
  5. Age for another 9 months
Joined to say thanks for posting recipe antiteam. Just finished brewing today and plan on pitching another pouch of Roselare in a few months.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #19
antiteam
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turny View Post
Joined to say thanks for posting recipe antiteam. Just finished brewing today and plan on pitching another pouch of Roselare in a few months.
Nice! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This looks great. I have been toying with the idea of coming up with a sour ipa blend but this looks pretty tempting too.

Quote:
Grains
7 lbs 2-row
3 lbs Unmalted Wheat
1 lb Flaked Oats
1/2 oz Crystal 80
Is that supposed to be 1/2 pound* of crystal 80?