Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Is this a wild beer or a toxic contaminated beer?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Is this a wild beer or a toxic contaminated beer?

I brewed a Wit beer about 3 months ago. I used Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast. I first suspected problems when after a week I had still not seen any CO2 bubbling out of my airlock. Well after 3 months of hemming and hawing about whether or not to dump the batch down the tub, it has come time to make a decision. Should I throw this brew out or is it salvageable?

While there has been no gas production the gravity has dropped from 1.045 to 1.020. I racked the batch to a new vessel yesterday. There was a 2mm white film on the top. Not like any I have seen before (I haven't brewed with bugs yet). I gave it a taste and I does taste sour but it tastes good. About a month ago I pitched 1c of corn sugar but nothing happened.
Is this beer safe to drink?
Will it bottle condition? IF not any ideas on how to do this
Should I toss the brew down the tub? Save it to sour a future beer?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's safe to drink. It's going to be sour (thin white film is pretty characteristic of a lacto infection), but that doesn't mean it won't be good. It should bottle condition, but it's a bad idea to bottle before it reaches a stable gravity.

To prevent future mishaps, give your carboy a good soak in PBW or Oxyclean, and replace your plastic parts.

As far as airlock activity, see my signature line.
"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper