Excellent brewing weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
Saturday I hit up LHBS and bought all the stuff I'd need (and got a free glass of porter for my trouble). When I got home, I sanitized the necessary equipment for making EdWort's Apfelwein, and then let SWMBO do the whole reciple herself. I would have made her sanitize the stuff herself, but then she gets a sad look on her face and says that the sanitizer has an unpleasant odor. But I digress. She finished it just fine and 36 hours later, it's bubbling away.

Yesterday I brewed Walker's Kaduva IPA. I have no idea what the beer will taste like, but I will say that I had more fun making this beer than any previous batch. For one thing, once you hit 35 minutes, you've got a hop infusion every five minutes for the remainder of the boil. It kept me from standing in the cold and staring blankly at my brew pot as it boiled. I finished at around 7 PM and pitched a White Labs American Ale Yeast Blend 750 ml starter. As of this morning, it's already bubbling.

I love this hobby. :mug:

Cool deal. I thrust out into unknown territory brewing something strange out of my head lol. I had wierd things go on, but in the end it is in lag, and hopefully will ramp to life soon. I finished it much later than anticipated because my gravity was low so I boiled off more than usual. I did bottle my DunkelWeizen and it hit everything perfectly. I couldn't be happier....now just to wait for carbonation, and overcome the nervousness about the bottles holding the higher volumes. I know they'll be fine they are these hulking Genesee returnables a guy gave me so I am fairly certain they will hold fine...just have to pass the test hehe. Good to hear SWMBO is rollin with it!

Oooh, an improvised recipe. Hope you wrote it down! If it turns out well, you'll have to put it in the recipe database.

ayrton said:
Oooh, an improvised recipe. Hope you wrote it down! If it turns out well, you'll have to put it in the recipe database.

I am calling it Chaos Love Magnet.

All of my recipes are from my own noodle using the BJCP database for the targets and what to use. So I am brewing and then if needing to refine, I rebrew. It will probably take me forever and a day to release my recipes lol. I made my own invert sugar for the Chaos Love Magnet, it is as best I can classify it a Belgian Strong Ale but there is a catch. I used a yeast combination. I was thinking about what I could siphon onto my hefe yeast, and was like "hrmmm I wonder" and had a Maudite and there are clove phenols in it. So I also pitched some S-33 to help with the alcohol level of this thing. I think it is a 80-something beer and should finish really dry.

Hey Wow! I also brewed the Kaduva (Snowshoe)IPA yesterday in the snow and also finished up at about 7pm. I used Pacman yeast without a starter. I wasnt gonna brew yesterday, but then said what the hell, lets do it. It's churning nicely now.

made a corona clone saturday
didn't have flaked rice so i cooked up some white rice.
it was so thick i thought i would get a stuck sparge for sure but no problems.
i thought my gravity after sparge was too low(1.040) - never measured pre-boil before so i added two scoops of high malt glucose syrup i had around. ened up at 1.060 in the fermenter. so much for my session beer!
today i made a leftover ale, 2 row, vienna, munich, oats, wheat, carastan and for hops northern brewer,cascade,saaz,tennanger, and fuggles. got 1.055 in the fermenter
good weekend -took last friday and today off.

Evets said:
Hey Wow! I also brewed the Kaduva (Snowshoe)IPA yesterday in the snow and also finished up at about 7pm. I used Pacman yeast without a starter. I wasnt gonna brew yesterday, but then said what the hell, lets do it. It's churning nicely now.

It was snowing up here above Harrisburg, too. I actually had to make a couple hop substitutions as Scotzin's in Harrisburg didn't have a couple of the ones required for Walker's recipe. Thankfully, I wrote down the AA percentages, and was able to get ones with similar ratings. I hope it turns out. I'll rename it for bottling; it'll be my "Hoppy Easter" ale.

rod said:
made a corona clone saturday
didn't have flaked rice so i cooked up some white rice.
it was so thick i thought i would get a stuck sparge for sure but no problems.
i thought my gravity after sparge was too low(1.040) - never measured pre-boil before so i added two scoops of high malt glucose syrup i had around. ened up at 1.060 in the fermenter. so much for my session beer!
today i made a leftover ale, 2 row, vienna, munich, oats, wheat, carastan and for hops northern brewer,cascade,saaz,tennanger, and fuggles. got 1.055 in the fermenter
good weekend -took last friday and today off.

I want to do a good clean-up beer. I've got some ingredients sitting around that ought to be used.

ayrton said:
Thankfully, I wrote down the AA percentages, and was able to get ones with similar ratings. I hope it turns out. I'll rename it for bottling; it'll be my "Hoppy Easter" ale.

Heh, great name, plays on a few different things at once. :mug:

Back