Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash out and batch sparging?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #21
jkendal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamstonBrew View Post
I don't mashout when I batch sparge.

If I'm mashing let's say at 152, I usually add my sparge water when it's 170 degrees which gets the grains up to maybe 155 or 160 tops. (Edit: BACK UP to 155 or 160 after draining the first runnings.) I've never sparged higher than that. My efficiency has always been excellent, so I've never bothered to do it any differently.
This is what I do.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
corax
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
If washing dishes, is it beer to rinse once or twice? I sparge twice because I feel it would be more effective for rinsing sugars out than one rinse. Plenty of people do both tho.
There is a point of diminishing returns.

How much useful sugar are you getting from your second sparge? Is it worth the extra time and effort?

How much of what you don't want are you getting from your second sparge? Is the extra sugar worth the risk?

For me, the answers used to be "no" and "no", so I only did one batch sparge. Now, with the massive increase in efficiency I get with the MM3, the answers are "no" and "no" for the first batch sparge, so I'm happy with no-sparge.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac00 View Post
I batch sparge, and I only do one full sparge, as opposed to doing a double sparge. In other words, mash -> run-off -> full sparge with 180F water -> kettle. Is there anything wrong with this procedure? Efficiency seems to be fine.
If there is, I've been doing it wrong for 425 batches! Except I usually us water around 200F for the sparge.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
People Like This 
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
This is great. Denny suggests doing two equal runoffs, so you would either mash thinner or add top-off sparge water, stir, then run off first runnings. He said there was increase in efficiency doing this.
A _very_ small gain. I usually don't worry about it. I've started increasing my mash ratio so that I don't have to do an addition before running off the mash (did I mention I'm lazy?). I fond that if the mash and sparge runoffs are within a gal. or so of each other, it's plenty close enough.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
If washing dishes, is it beer to rinse once or twice? I sparge twice because I feel it would be more effective for rinsing sugars out than one rinse. Plenty of people do both tho.
My testing shows that sparging isn't like washing dishes.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
corax
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
My testing shows that sparging isn't like washing dishes.
It is in one way -- the more you sparge, the more the output tastes like dishwater.
tre9er Likes This 
Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
It is in one way -- the more you sparge, the more the output tastes like dishwater.
Excellente!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #28
seminoleAle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac00
I batch sparge, and I only do one full sparge, as opposed to doing a double sparge. In other words, mash -> run-off -> full sparge with 180F water -> kettle. Is there anything wrong with this procedure? Efficiency seems to be fine.
I agree. Keep it simple.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #29
TheRussMeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is this thread still alive? I have a question!

So maybe I am thinking too much about this, but, once you run off your initial mash, we know that most of the sugars go with it. We also know that most of the enzymes go with it too. So you have your first runnings sitting in your kettle slowly cooling. Because your enzymes are in there too, and they are still active because you have not denatured them with heating, wouldn't they still be working, thus altering your preciously maintained mash temperature results? I guess if you were to batch sparge with hot enough water that to heat up the total drained volume (first runnings and now second runnings) you could stop enzymatic activity rather quickly, but I would imagine the water would be so hot that it could increase tannin extraction from the grist. Another solution would be to heat the kettle as soon as you have your first runnings. But what if you heat your sparge water with the same heat source? If you do two sparges then you can't heat your kettle during sparging.

Any thoughts? Is the amount of activity during that 20 or so minutes of sparging minuscule? Complete conversion doesn't necessarily save you from this as beta amaylase can work on products of alpha even after conversion is complete. Although I imagine its possible that it already completed what it could do to the alpha products during your mash...

Old 06-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #30
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 787 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 15

SeminoleAle,

I have thought about this as well, some advise heating the brew kettle immediatly while collecting the first runnings to stop enzyme activity. Or, you could mash a little higher and let the additional conversion take place welcomingly. Or do a boiling water infusion, or mash out pioir to draining first runnings. At the end of the day, it really is as simple as mash, rinse and boil, or try a full volume mash, so it's just mash / drain and boil.

It really comes down to your practice, there is no right or wrong, just many different ways to recieve favorable end results.