How can I get the reddest ale possible? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How can I get the reddest ale possible?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Commander_Nate
Recipes 

Jun 2010
San Diego

I'm planning on doing a red ale for my next batch and I'm curious what ingredients and techniques people would recommend in order to get as close to a true red color as possible. I've searched around the forum and elsewhere a bit and have seen some pretty interesting suggestions, but I'm wondering what might work best.

I want to use legit ingredients for the color, rather than "cheating" with food coloring or something like that. Using beets was one idea I came across, but I'm a bit concerned about how that might affect the flavor. I don't have the space for all-grain, so this is going to be an extract batch. I typically brew 5-gallon batches and usually do darker stuff, like stouts. I also only have 1 carboy for now, so I won't be able to do a secondary fermentation.

Basically I want to make a red ale that people look at and say "hey, that's red!" (not amber, etc). Any suggestions on what "magic ingredient" I can use to achieve this?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
bruin_ale

Recipes 

May 2009
Campbell, CA
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I haven't found that magic ingredient.. red ales are still amber in color, I haven't seen a beer that's seriously red and not just included some shade of red in the amber.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Toast some pale malt at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring at 10 and 20 minutes. Let it sit in a paper bag for a week or so to "air out" and it will give your beer a wonderful red color.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Spreadhead

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Houston, Texas
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Melanoidin is a German malt that will give a reddish color to beer. It can make up to 20% of the total grain bill.

Sent from Spreadhead's iPhone.

Primary 1: sour blonde, Primary 2: dry hopped blonde, Tap 1: imp red ipa, Tap 2: nada, Tap 3: nada, Tap 4: breakfast stout
Next: can't decide

Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Liked 282 Times on 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Toast some pale malt at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring at 10 and 20 minutes. Let it sit in a paper bag for a week or so to "air out" and it will give your beer a wonderful red color.
Thanks for the clue, Ed. Think I'll give it a try when the roasted barley runs out.....

Old 03-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
freudhawk
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Kansas

I've used Ken Lenard's advice of using a combo of Crystal 120 and Special B....awesome RED color and didn't have an over the top sweet or raisiny flavor you might expect for 8 oz of each in an 1.045 ale. SRM= 18 was right on!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #7

Crystal 80, with a longish boil - 90 minutes

Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

weyermann's CaraRed.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
step

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hood River, Oregon
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I made a beet red ale and while the color is quite beautiful its still not red red and the beet flavor does show through (earthy) even with just one beet in a five gallon batch. Furthermore, it seemed that a lot of the red from the beet was actually a solid that wasn't fully soluble. So right after brewing and during fermentation it had an amazing ruby color, but as things settled, the color subsided.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Portland-Metro, Oregon
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

do a mini mash with some red wheat, small amount of crystal 60 or 80, a bit of rye malt, and use a pound of medium-heavy caramelized honey in the boil, that'll get a nice amber-ruby color