How does this recipe look? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How does this recipe look?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Xalwine
 
Xalwine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Derry, PA
Posts: 258
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



SWMBO wants a fruit beer that tastes like her wine coolers. She likes the seagrams Jamaican me happy. So I found a lite ale recipe with fruit additions. I just want other people's take on it. It's my first personalized brew.

Briess White Wheat 6 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat 4 lbs, 0 oz
Cascade Pellets .5 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets .5 oz @ 30 mins
Malto Dextrin - 8 oz package 12 oz
Irish Moss 1 ea
Wyeast Labs American Ale 1 ea

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes, Sparge with 170 for 10 minutes.
Boil for 60 minutes
Ferment at Ale temp for 7 days, Rack to secondary and add 5lb of chopped fruit to secondary (Preferred: lemon, strawberry, watermelon, and guava) and let sit for 2 weeks or until fermentation has completely stopped.
Add priming sugar and bottle.

IF YOU WANT IT SWEETER AND CARBONATED

Follow the instructions at:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/


Please let me know if you would change anything....
__________________

Fermenting:
None :-(
Kegged:
Test batch
Test batch
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,936
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts


Don't forget rice hulls.
__________________
Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Xalwine
 
Xalwine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Derry, PA
Posts: 258
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


what will rice hulls do?
__________________

Fermenting:
None :-(
Kegged:
Test batch
Test batch
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,936
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts


Rice hulls in the mash to keep from getting stuck sparge from the wheat, they add no flavor or gravity to the brew. With that much wheat I would recommend at least a pound of rice hulls, kinda depends on your setup, what type manifold, etc.

Also, I assume one of those wheat ingredients are malted?
__________________
Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Xalwine
 
Xalwine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Derry, PA
Posts: 258
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I was gonna do a BIAB. should i still use the rice hulls?
__________________

Fermenting:
None :-(
Kegged:
Test batch
Test batch
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,936
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalwine View Post
I was gonna do a BIAB. should i still use the rice hulls?
Dunno, never have done BIAB, I would think it would be really sticky and would lock up the moisture without draining, but I really have no idea. Maybe someone with BIAB experience will answer. Also I edited my earlier post regarding the wheat, One of those wheat ingredients need to be malted.
__________________
Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Xalwine
 
Xalwine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Derry, PA
Posts: 258
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer

Dunno, never have done BIAB, I would think it would be really sticky and would lock up the moisture without draining, but I really have no idea. Maybe someone with BIAB experience will answer. Also I edited my earlier post regarding the wheat, One of those wheat ingredients need to be malted.
Both wheats are malted.
__________________

Fermenting:
None :-(
Kegged:
Test batch
Test batch
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Zamial
 
Zamial's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
WI
Posts: 3,183
Liked 178 Times on 158 Posts


Why not make a "breezer" styled wine. I bet you could naturally carb or force carb it and it would be a wine cooler. Wheat beers are great but they are beer...

When I think of "wine cooler" I think back sweetened, carbed, low ABV wine not wheat beer.

I am going to guess that if you make her what she likes she will like it...you still get all the "I brewed it" bragging rights. So what if it is wine instead of beer?

The guys @ my LHBS have been trying to get me to try one of these things. I keep telling them my SWMBO likes beer but if she liked wine coolers I would not hesitate to brew her some.
__________________
I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
McGarnigle
 
McGarnigle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
NYS
Posts: 1,926
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalwine View Post
I was gonna do a BIAB. should i still use the rice hulls?
No

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Xalwine
 
Xalwine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Derry, PA
Posts: 258
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial
Why not make a "breezer" styled wine. I bet you could naturally carb or force carb it and it would be a wine cooler. Wheat beers are great but they are beer...

When I think of "wine cooler" I think back sweetened, carbed, low ABV wine not wheat beer.

I am going to guess that if you make her what she likes she will like it...you still get all the "I brewed it" bragging rights. So what if it is wine instead of beer?

The guys @ my LHBS have been trying to get me to try one of these things. I keep telling them my SWMBO likes beer but if she liked wine coolers I would not hesitate to brew her some.
She hates wine. She thinks she will like thus because of the fruit. Plus the wine cooler she likes is "flavored beer." any links to the breezer style wine recipes? I am making an apple wine (not Ed worts) and wouldn't mind trying that style.
__________________

Fermenting:
None :-(
Kegged:
Test batch
Test batch
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)
(empty)

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recipe Ingredient Giveaway - Your Choice of Recipe RandyKlein General Beer Discussion 7 03-23-2011 07:33 PM


Forum Jump