Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Thermometers / thermowells

Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
fuzzybee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thermometers / thermowells

I'm working on my brewstand, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for temperature readouts for my HLT and BK. I think I'm going to go with a 1/2" tee for a sight glass and temperature. I've seen these thermowells on ebay: link that look like they'll work for me, but I have two questions:

(1) will the OD of the thermowell prevent me from getting an accurate reading from the sight glass?

(2) should I be able to stick pretty much any digital temperature probe into the thermowell, as long as it touches the tip? Are there any that are recommended here? I'm not starting off with any automation - I just want to use a standard digital thermometer.

Thanks!