Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coopers Kit question

Old 03-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
agengo02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coopers Kit question

Hey guys by first brew is in the bottles waiting a couple of weeks to open them up and drink them. I have the Coopers kit and got online to try to order more of their pre made mash. To get the mash, bottles, caps, sugar, & carbonation tablets would be over $100 to get it shipped to me! That is what I paid for the whole kit! Do yall know of anywhere here in the states (I live in Texas, near Houston) where I can buy the stuff locally? Am I going to have to make my own mash now or can I use other types of the pre made stuff. I don't think I'm quite to where I want to try different flavor combinations just yet, I just want to brew some beers. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3026 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 2143

I got my Cooper's micro brew kit from makebeer.net. He's in Iowa. But search for LHBS's in your area. I did it with the ask search on my browser. I found one where I didn't have to drive for 2-3 hours one way.
But makebeer.net has all the Cooper's beer kits & whatnot. So you could order from him if there's no LHBS in your area.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
agengo02
Recipes 

Thanks very much for the reply but I am very new at this. LHBS??

Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Indo_China
Recipes 

Austin home brew store is where I have been buying from. Also, there are several places in H town.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
agengo02
Recipes 

Good deal I think I am going to buy from that makebeer.net thanks for the link, then next time I'm in Houston I will swing by a store.

Another quick question. On the makebeer.net site you can order the brewing refill kit and get the beer kit, light malt extract, and carbonation drops. When I did my first brew I used brewing sugar (came with original Coopers kit) but do I use the light malt extract the same way I used the brewing sugar? Am I going to have to get another package of the brewing sugar to add?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
sjjn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by agengo02 View Post
Thanks very much for the reply but I am very new at this. LHBS??
LHBS = Local Home Brew Store

Old 03-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3026 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by agengo02 View Post
Good deal I think I am going to buy from that makebeer.net thanks for the link, then next time I'm in Houston I will swing by a store.

Another quick question. On the makebeer.net site you can order the brewing refill kit and get the beer kit, light malt extract, and carbonation drops. When I did my first brew I used brewing sugar (came with original Coopers kit) but do I use the light malt extract the same way I used the brewing sugar? Am I going to have to get another package of the brewing sugar to add?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
Yeah,the light malt extract adds a bit more color,body,flavor,etc. It's really un-hopped DME (Dry Malt Extract),& is basically a fermentable. Some still add 250-300g of dextrose for a bit more alcohol than you get with the DME.
The "brewers sugar" is what they gave me as well,it's 80% dextrose (corn sugar),& 20% maltodextrine. The later is supposed to give a better head. You can buy that separately at the LHBS. Others even use the DME with the can kit,& use high malt glucose. It's a thick syrup that is mostly fermentable like the dextrose. But has a lil malt. It's about the same as brewer's sugar,imo.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
BryanJ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are buying online, don't waste your time with a coopers kit. You will have much better results with a extract kit made from one of the vendors on the website.

Northern Brewer
Austin Home Brew Store, this might be your best bet seeing your from Texas
Midwest Supplies

Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
SchruteFarms
Recipes 

I'm a new Cooper brewer also. Got my first batch started yesterday.

Look on Amazon for "Coopers Brew kit". You can get the whole brew kit, minus the bottles, for $25-$30 with FREE SHIPPING (yay!) For bottles I've been saving some personally and asking around and have easily been able to gather enough for another batch. I plan to get it started as soon as first batch is out of primary.

The LHBS is also a great idea. I've not been able to visit any myself yet to see what selection/price they may offer.

Have fun!!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6241 Times on 4447 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
If you are buying online, don't waste your time with a coopers kit. You will have much better results with a extract kit made from one of the vendors on the website.

Northern Brewer
Austin Home Brew Store, this might be your best bet seeing your from Texas
Midwest Supplies
I agree! Coopers is pretty much junk. For that much money, you could get several "real" beer kits and make some excellent stuff! I'm not sure what's in Houston but I know Austin Home Brew is awesome and they have flat rate shipping of $7.99 or free shipping over $100 and currently have 20 kits at $20! Check out austinhomebrew.com for info.

The $20 kits look great! Get the dry yeast option for $1.59. The priming sugar for carbonation is included. I like this one: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=12895 If you can boil water, you can make these kits. Even the bag for the grain is included, and it'll make a great product.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans