Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > making beer stronger

Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
scuba1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default making beer stronger

I have a 10 gallon batch of american light fermenting that is to watered down im curiuos about the steps i should take to make it stronger

Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
turtle
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dump some vodka in it.

What was the OG?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

American Light...isn't that supposed to be watered down?!? I kid I kid can you post your recipe? That would help troubleshoot. If you are doing extract, its possible you put too much top off water in. However if its still fermenting, you may be fine. Once you carbonate, it may be much better...but I've never done a light beer, so not sure how it should taste in fermentation. Adding sugar would be one thing to consider, but there may be some better options. I'm sure others may be able to help more with this style. Good luck!
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I second chapa. You could keep the vodka on the side though. It definately won't make it taste better..

Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

couldn't he just mash a heavier wort and add a little of that in? it would take longer to finish though
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

To make it even easier it could be blended with a store bought pale ale or something.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba1 View Post
I have a 10 gallon batch of american light fermenting that is to watered down im curiuos about the steps i should take to make it stronger
You can't spell making and curious, I'd say your beer is already strong enough.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Next time brew a higher gravity beer....

Is your beer carbed up yet? If it's not then your beer isn't watered down, it's just not done yet. Carbonation will go along way to giving it the appearance of more body and flavor. So many new brewers come on here saying the same thing, when in reality their beer just isn't ready yet.

Since you're saying it's still fermenting, I'm betting the same thing. There's nothing wrong with the beer. You're just not experiencing it finished yet.

So just see this beer through, and enjoy it. It will be much better than you think it is. And in the future rather than thinking about making an existing beer stronger, or fruitier or hoppier or whatever, BREW THAT RECIPE/KIT TO BEGIN WITH.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

^^ he's always right..

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
devilishprune
Recipes