Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bee Cave Kolsch Question

Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bee Cave Kolsch Question

So I am going to brew Ed Worts Bee Cave Kolsch this weekend. What boil time did you guys use for this? The recipe calls for 60 minute boil. I haven't made anything with Pilsner malt but everything I have read said you should boil for 90 min to avoid DMS? If I boil for 90 minutes do I still keep the same hop schedule 60 min, 15 & 5?

Bee Cave Kolsch

Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, you can get by with 60 mins if your boil is vigorous (especially the last half). You could bump it up to 90 mins without problem I suspect; maybe a tiny bit of darkening may result, but I doubt it'd be noticeable. Just make sure you account for the extra boil-off time with your pre-boil volume.

And yes, if you boil for 90 mins you just don't add hops for the first 30. Unless you're first wort hopping (not in this recipe).

Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this recipe last fall and did a 60 minute boil. I didn't include a Diacetyl rest either. In the end this was a great beer....as a matter of fact I keep tellling my self it'll be the next one I brew.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, your pot size makes a difference. I brew with a really wide pot now (I didn't before) and now I never need to boil 90 minutes to rid DMS. My pot is so wide and I get a vigorous enough boil (with a good burner) mine are always fine and I use a BUNCH of pils malts. So the answer is depends.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, unfortunately the boil time/DMS thing is fairly dependent on various brewhouse setup factors. The only way to tell for sure that you'd be fine with a 60 min boil (or a 90 minute) is to actually try them. But I think that you'd likely be fine either way, so long as you don't have a terribly sluggish boil.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the responses guys. My BK is a keggle. I am going to try the 60 minute boil and see how it goes.

Primary: None
Up next: ????