Isabella's Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast #3787 Trappist high Gravity
Yeast Starter
1 Pkg in 2000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days varying temp
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days 67 deg
Tasting Notes
Brewing soon. serious TLC spent on recipe, even sent to Jamil Z...
10.00 Lbs Belgian Pilsner
1.70 Lbs White Wheat
0.23 Lbs Acidulated
0.23 Lbs Aromatic
0.23 Lbs Special B
0.50 Lbs Turbinado Sugar (15 minutes in boil)
0.47 Lbs Corn Sugar (15 minutes in boil)
1.62 Lbs Inverted Organic Cane Sugar (added incrementally to primary in 1 Lb dose, then 0.62 lb dose)

0.60 oz Galena for 90 minutes
0.46 oz Sorachi Ace for 10 minutes
0.45 oz Saaz for 5 minutes

90 minute mash @ 147 degrees F
add sugar to primary just after high krausen

Long fermentation. 17 days in, down to 1.017 from 1.081 and the 3787 continues to swirl in the carboy. Hoping for a 4 week primary and that it will finish around 1.010. It's going well.

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

That looks like a pretty good recipe. I have a Tripel that should be done by next week and I'll be throwing this on that cake

JayMckeever said:
That looks like a pretty good recipe. I have a Tripel that should be done by next week and I'll be throwing this on that cake

3787 seems like a LONG fermenter. Yesterday, the yeast finally stopped swirling. I quickly threw it over to a secondary and got it in a cool spot of the basement to clear. The sample tasted very good. I'm bottling it in 22's. Of course, the gravity dropping to 1.007 made my apparent ABV 9.69 percent! I couldn't taste much in the way of fusels as I kept the temp under 70 for most of the time. The only time I let it rise up was after 2 weeks.

I agree. I have had a hennepin clone in the primary with that yeast for 3 weeks now and it still has over an inch of krauzen.. I will check the gravity next week to move to secondary.

I don't know if it was luck or if I did something useful, but for the last week and a half I would gently rock the carboy to get the protein off the bottom of the krausen. It seemed to help. Of course, when I racked to secondary, it started clearing right away. I can't wait, this recipe was blessed by Jamil Z as well as Rob Tod of Allagash.

Well, several moths later, I realize this is no Tripel. Last night I cracked one and can only describe this as a very tasty Abbey Ale with a ton of alcohol in it. You can't really taste much "hot alcohol," but it has a very pleasant warming effect. I may keep this recipe after all as it has developed very nice flavor after several months in the bottle. I guess it's time to re-write a tripel recipe and call it something else!

Back