Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A Light Lager

Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
GusWatab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default A Light Lager

Hello Homebrew World!

I am posting today in hopes I can come up with a recipe to use up 5 lbs of Muntons Extra Light DME. I had originally bought these to build a blue moon clone but changed my mind on the recipe after I found a more accurate one.

So I was hoping that someone would have a recipe that I calls for a bunch of Extra Light DME so I could use this up. I would love to try a lager or a pilsner if anyone had any suggestions. Also I have an ounce and a half of Palisade hops that I swapped out of a different recipe and I have a pound each of Amarillo and Cascade leaf hops but would prefer to use those for an IPA or something more along the lines of what I like to drink.

I am guessing this beer will be like making love in a canoe....it's f***ing close to water!!

Thanks in advance!!

Bottled - Quad Hop IPA, Fresh Hop Belgian White
On Deck - A Stout?
On the Turntable - George Harrison "Apple Jam"

Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, you could do something really simple like:

5lbs of Extra Light Extract

.5 oz palisades @ 60
.5 oz amarillo @ 20
.25 oz amarillo @ Flame out (adds a tiny bit of aroma which is nice)

It will end up a 4.5% beer which is easy to drink, that's for sure. Or if you felt like getting crazy you could steep a half lb of carapils to add a little sweetness and body. OR you could steep a bit of Carafa III special and make it more of a schwarzbier.

I'd go with WLP802. Its a tasty & clean yeast.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are you open to a partial mash?

If so, my house Pilsner Lager is super simple, you could use your DME and add the 1lb of Munich as partial mash. It's a super simple recipe...I Love it. Hops I used 1oz of Northdown for bittering (just because thats what I had) and I added 1oz of Saaz at 10 minutes. Thats pretty much it then I pitch a packet of Saflager yeast and you have a very cheap very crisp and refreshing pilsner. I just tapped my yesterday and it is scrumptious after about a month of lagering.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
GusWatab
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgruis View Post
Are you open to a partial mash?

If so, my house Pilsner Lager is super simple, you could use your DME and add the 1lb of Munich as partial mash. It's a super simple recipe...I Love it. Hops I used 1oz of Northdown for bittering (just because thats what I had) and I added 1oz of Saaz at 10 minutes. Thats pretty much it then I pitch a packet of Saflager yeast and you have a very cheap very crisp and refreshing pilsner. I just tapped my yesterday and it is scrumptious after about a month of lagering.
Thank a lot for the ideas guys. bgruis, could you post your recipe for me? I just looked and I have about a pound of Briess Caramel 80L that I could steep too for color and body. Would this be ok to use?

Also I will need to read up a bit more about lagering. I have never done it before but would love to give it a shot. I need to get some lagering yeast correct?
Bottled - Quad Hop IPA, Fresh Hop Belgian White
On Deck - A Stout?
On the Turntable - George Harrison "Apple Jam"

Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

About the Crystal 80 I think that would be great.....slightly darker color...should be good.

OK, so my recipe is All grain. I would jusst drop the Pilsner malt and sub your DME.

9 lbs Pilsner malt
1 lb Munich malt
1.0 oz Nortdown Hops at 60 minutes (bittering)
1.0 oz Saaz hops at 10 minutes (flavor/armoa)

I shoot for a gravity of 1.050.

I pitch one packet of Saflager W 34/70...very commonly avialable....at 68 degrees...put a blow off tube on...wait till fermentation is rocking away (usually a day for me)....then move to my cellar and keep at 50 degrees for a week or two til fermenation is complete. Then back to room temperature for a diacteyl rest for a couple days the put in my fridge and drop to about 34 degrees for any where from 2 or 3 weeks...you can gol longer if you want but I don't notice any improvement in flavor.

I hope that helps.