Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanwallner

Reaction score
Brewed a Mac And Jack African amber clone yesterday. They call for Dry hopping the primary on week three of ferment. I have fresh whole hops. My question is can i drop them in whole or should I use a muslin bag. Is there a difference. Maybe someone else has tryed this clone? Thanks for the help

Haven't tried the clone you're working on, but I have dry hopped many brews.

In the past I haven't had very good success with just throwing in whole hops. They tend to float on top and not give much to the beer. I prefer a bag weighted down with marbles or some stainless. Toss a few large, clean stainless bolts in your bag, then chuck that into some sanitizer while you weigh out your hops. Pull the bag out and let the excess starsan drain out, put your hops in and tie it off. Then toss the whole mess into your bucket. The hops might float for a day or so, but eventually they'll get waterlogged and sink into the beer.

Latest posts

Back