Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Homemade magnetic stirrer power source question

Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
GreenDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Homemade magnetic stirrer power source question

So I have everything I need for my hand made magnetic stirrer except a way to power it. So far I've made everything from spare parts:

Magnets from some old hard drives (I have a ton of old drives)
Fan speed controller from an old zalman heatsink I used before switching to water cooling.
80mm and 120mm fans (I'm a computer geek if you couldn't tell).
Cigar box
Leftover Plexiglas from some window case mods I've done

So my question is, how do I power this thing? Someone mentioned using a phone charger? I have several old ones laying in my spare parts bin, how did you do rig it up?

Option 2: I have a few spare computer power supplies and I know how to short them on. I could just plug it into that using the default 4-pin molex connector the fans came with.

Anyone know of a method 3 I'm not aware of?

I'd prefer not to do #2 because I'm not sure its safe to run a power supply for 3 days by completing the circuit like that.

Thanks in advance!

Bottled: Summer Dea Wheat

Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update: Looks as if I can get a 12 or 6v power supply from radio shack for $7. As cool as it would be to make it from all spare parts, I may buy the power supply to cut down on the fire haphazardness of this project

Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
KLAAYHAUS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Here's an even better buy! Our local store doesn't stock this, but they said they would order it and ship it to the store and I wouldn't have to pay to ship it. Does $1.47 sound good to you? This is what I plan on using.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049709

Old 03-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool, I'll see if my store can order me one too.

I can't get the hard drive magnets off their base plates. I used a really old 6gb quantum fireball drive thinking the magnet would be bigger. They are huge but really well glued to the base. Gonna soak them overnight in the wife's nail polish remover, lol.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
KLAAYHAUS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ha, the IT guy at work gave me a Samsung hard drive today that looked like it was fairly new. I got the magnets off of it pretty easily. Just make sure that Radio Shack power supply is compatible with the fan you are using. Seems like a heck of a deal to me, not to pass it up. The one I need that they have in stock at the store is $15 so I might as well let them order the cheaper one for this project.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAAYHAUS View Post
Just make sure that Radio Shack power supply is compatible with the fan you are using.
+1 Most computer fans are 12 volt. If your computer fan is 12 volt I would purchase a 12 volt wall wort instead of a 6 volt unit as was suggested.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
KLAAYHAUS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I made that recommendation based on the directions I am using. Is this incorrect?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donosbo...7603627840573/

Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
LarMoeCur
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a multi select power adaptor hanging around so I used it. It goes from 4v to 12v. It worked out great for me because my stir plate throws the bar at 12v even with the rheostat on the lowest setting. I run it between 6v and 9v depending on the size of the starter. 9v with full rheostat setting is like a washing machine. 10v throws the bar.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My solution may be too easy for you guys, but I've had excellent results powering my 12v 120mm case fan using an ordinary cheap rotary type light dimmer and a 12vdc wall wart. I mounted the dimmer switch in a surface mount electrical handy box alongside a standard duplex outlet. The dimmer controls the duplex outlet. I simply plug the wall wart into the receptacle and dial in the speed with the dimmer knob. Works like a champ with very good dynamic range control on the speed. Essentially, the dimmer is a PWM device. Here's a demo video so you can see it in action:

Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
KLAAYHAUS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great video, thanks for the tips. I like the dimmer switch control, good idea. I was also looking at this since you can select the voltage you want but can't justify the price:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hosa+Technology+-+Universal+Power+Adapter/8897027.p?id=1213399791824&skuId=8897027&st=power% 20adapter&cp=2&lp=21