Originally Posted by DogFace_Brewing
LOL tried this with the orginal hose that came in the braid...took it out of the braid notched it and put it back in...BAD IDEA it was stuck the first batch...the braid will be fine by itself even though it seems "Floppy"
I did the same thing (sort of)
I made my tun with a larger braid, the size for a water heater, assuming that bigger was better. After about 2 batches, I got a stuck mash and sparge twice in a row, so I changed the braid to the original braid.
I thought that it would be a good idea to drill holes in the plastic hose and reinsert it.
I ended up with a stuck mash on my first batch with it.
I took the plastic out and never had any other problems with it, even when the braid got all beat up.
I use a false bottom now because I thought I wanted to fly sparge (I'm back to batch sparging), but if I was going to build one now, I would follow the original build as built by Flyguy.