Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion - Page 245 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #2441
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 6,410
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85

If IC = immersion chiller than you can use a cheap pond pump and fill up a cooler with ice water
But start with water. If you start with ice you will have melted ice and half chilled wort.


__________________
Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #2442
mattyb85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Wakefield, Ma
Posts: 272
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

But start with water. If you start with ice you will have melted ice and half chilled wort.
Yes, good addition



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #2443
IanJ
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
NY
Posts: 247
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts


I suppose I could buy something like this and rig the chiller to it (if I can find garden hose attachments) and plop into a full sink.

Thanks for all the help, being forced to move into a less than ideal apartment with little to work with, isn't fun.

Edit: Added photo for reference
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	96506  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #2444
mattyb85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Wakefield, Ma
Posts: 272
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


No problem and yeah I imagine not. I have a rather big kitchen in mine but definitely not ideal. I just bought a burner tho so when it warms up I can move my brewing outside

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #2445
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 6,410
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85

Yes, good addition
Yup, my summer water can be quite warm though. I try to chill to 100 and then switch to recirculating ice water. 5 gallons of 212F wort can turn 40 lbs of ice to bath water.
__________________
Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #2446
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 6,410
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate
I suppose I could buy something like this and rig the chiller to it (if I can find garden hose attachments) and plop into a full sink.

Thanks for all the help, being forced to move into a less than ideal apartment with little to work with, isn't fun.
That's what I would do. Do you have a dual basin sink? If so, put your pump in the full side and pump through the IC to the other drain. When your temp comes down add your ice to the supply and move your outlet to the supply basin and recirculate.
__________________
Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #2447
IanJ
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
NY
Posts: 247
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts


Well, finally built the Lowes brand Rubbermade MT and it leaks, as others have encountered. Still has a lot of play in the rotation of the handle.

Had to put a bunch of O-rings between the washers and original gasket, as well as the outside between the washers (took 6 washers!) and cooler. I don't know if they're heat resistant (or food safe) so it may be a problem. No information on the package of O-rings. May have to find another solution before brew day.

Edit: More washers and more o-rings did the trick, although 170 degree water just warped the crap out of it. Thought it was going to crack and melt like the first BB I melted with hot water when I started years ago.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #2448
mattyb85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Wakefield, Ma
Posts: 272
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate
Well, finally built the Lowes brand Rubbermade MT and it leaks, as others have encountered. Still has a lot of play in the rotation of the handle.

Had to put a bunch of O-rings between the washers and original gasket, as well as the outside between the washers (took 6 washers!) and cooler. I don't know if they're heat resistant (or food safe) so it may be a problem. No information on the package of O-rings. May have to find another solution before brew day.

Edit: More washers and more o-rings did the trick, although 170 degree water just warped the crap out of it. Thought it was going to crack and melt like the first BB I melted with hot water when I started years ago.
Return the fittings and buy a weldless bulkhead and valve from brewhardware.com. Less pieces and not expensive and it's stainless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1402163929.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	97052



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3754446852.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	97054

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #2449
fluidmechanics
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 147
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Mark

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #2450
Newbrew12
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Posts: 135
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quick question... For a 48 qt rectangular cooler, is the 3/8 ball valve the correct size or is 1/2 needed. I have read both ways, just curious on it. Forgive my lack of engineering knowledge.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHEAP 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Water Cooler rj_hockey Equipment/Sanitation 11 05-30-2012 04:26 PM
Rubbermaid conversion bbrim Equipment/Sanitation 2 02-27-2009 10:30 PM
10 gallon and 5 gallon rubbermaid water coolers delivered for 68 bucks. RedOctober Equipment/Sanitation 6 12-12-2008 06:33 PM
Cheap & Easy 5 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion Brutus Brewer Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-29-2008 03:04 AM
conversion kit for 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler? Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 08-09-2006 06:21 PM


Forum Jump