I know... rdwhahb. But a ? about yeast cake and bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckmug

Reaction score
OK. Been reading here that a benefit to a primary is to get your beer of the trub so that it won't affect the taste. I have a brew kit going. had it in my primary, which is a non-airtight kind. It was in for just two days and the sg went from 1.054 to 1.014. Since activity was slowing way down and there was no more krausen, I wanted to get it into an airtight carboy before the oxygen turned it nasty. Now I look at the bottom of my carboy, and it has good bit of sediment at the bottom. Did I rack it too soon? Should I rack it again to get the beer of the sediment? Is it ok to let it sit for a while for a while or should I bottle as soon as it hits like 1.010 or less?

Sediment hurts nothing. Get yourself an airtight primary so you don't have to worry about secondaries.

Getting an airtight Primary does more than just keep oxygen out also, it also keeps the bad yeasts out and helps you from getting an infected batch.

Also, it's debatable whether you "should" secondary or not.
There's only 3 instances where I will rack to secondary:
1) I'm racking onto some type of fruit or other additive
2) I'm trying to get my beer clearer faster
3) I need to free up one of my larger carboys for another batch

Clarifying in a secondary is also debatable to me since sometimes I don't notice much of a difference whether I do it or not. But it gives me a little more peace of mind.
In 95% of the cases though, clarity isn't a real concern for me.

Back