Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I save my beer ? Carbonation level ?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Can I save my beer ? Carbonation level ?

So I made a Imperial Stout and used a calculator I found online for how much priming sugar I should use to get it right. I don't have a scale so I eyeballed it. The beer turned out great except the carbonation level.

It is too flat. It is honestly pretty close but not close enough to make drinking it as enjoyable as I want it to be.

Can I save it ? How ? Could I pop the tops and add some regular sugar ? If so, how much should I add ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2916 Times on 2523 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

I remember seeing on the Cooper's forum that the factory guy said 8g per liter.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just because it's going to be asked... Are you sure you let it sit long enough to fully carb?
At around 70 degrees?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

How long has it been since you primed it? REGULAR stouts have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to fully carb up.....Bigger beers have taken me months.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Read the above blog, and come back to the beer in a couple more weeks.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them ore time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

haha. love the chart revvy.
i've had beers take a lot longer to carb than three weeks. that being said. if they just wont ever carb then thats a good excuse to get set up for kegging! if your carefull not to splash the beers too much you can pour them into the keg and force carb them
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
krazydave
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like a good sales pitch to the significant other to me!
I can't remember what my sales pitch was... :\

Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
haha. love the chart revvy.
i've had beers take a lot longer to carb than three weeks. that being said. if they just wont ever carb then thats a good excuse to get set up for kegging! if your carefull not to splash the beers too much you can pour them into the keg and force carb them
*GROAN* Can we EVER have a BOTTLING question where someone doesn't answer it by mentioning kegging????? You know, some of us may never keg, or will keg and bottle. It's not the be all and end all of brewing...And doesn't need to be brought up every time someone mentions bottling. I mean, we're not idiots...we've HEARD about kegging actually (it's hard not to considering this IS the bottling/kegging section afterall.

It's as tiring and trite a comment to see in every bottling thread as "You're beer is ruined so send it to me for proper disposal."

It's as old as this guy

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave View Post
Just because it's going to be asked... Are you sure you let it sit long enough to fully carb?
At around 70 degrees?

Yeah, sorry. I should have mentioned that. It was bottled on 1/22 at around 74 degrees.

Thanks Rev. I have become WAYYY more patient since I first started brewing and it has really paid off.

So seeing how long I have had it bottled, I guess I should keep waiting.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I would advise against trying to add more sugar to each bottle to increase the carbonation level in them...

For future brews, I would suggest monitoring the temperature the wort is fermenting at while in active fermentation. That's the number you need to enter in the calculation tools. Not the air temp, the actual wort temp (or at least a close number)... Since they're not the same, it's important to at least have an idea. The ambient temp where it ferments could be 60F, but the wort was actually fermenting at 65F. 65F is what you would enter in the calculation tool.

That being said... GET A GOOD SCALE... Get a decent grade digital scale that offers both imperial/US and metric ranges. That way you can actually accurately measure the priming sugar (and other things too). If you only plan to ever measure priming sugar with it, you can get one that has a lower limit (~5#'s or so)... If you think you might get into all grain, or partial mashing, then get one with a higher limit (~10# or more). Just be sure it has accuracy in the <1# range.

Once you do that, you can measure your priming sugar amount more accurately and make sure the brew is carbonated to your liking.

BTW, stouts and porters are typically carbonated lower than ales and lagers. You also usually have a range for a style that's fairly wide, such as 1.8-2.5 CO2 volumes. Try in the middle of the range initially, then either increase, or decrease until you find what you like... Just another reason to brew more. Like we need a reason to brew more.

Also, be sure to give your brews at least 3 weeks as close to 70F as you can. I usually check pale ales (or ale types) after about 2 weeks to see how things are going. I do chill the bottle down for at least 3 days before sampling it. That way whatever is in suspension has time to flocculate out into the trub in the bottle...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i wasn't trying to convert him or anything. i bottle too, plan on bottling my next batch. i just like kegging to. and who wouldn't want a tap coming out of the fridge? sorry if i offended anyone. not my intention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.