Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Rinsing with tap water?

Old 09-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
Oahu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rinsing with tap water?

Do I desanitize things when I run tap water over them? Like if I want to clean the excess cleanser from my autosiphon can I rinse with unboiled water? Or does tap water leave things sanitary after it dries? What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance!

Primary: Awaiting Wine
Seconday: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Hank's Hefeweizen

Old 09-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I use Quat which is a no rinse sanitizer. I actually prefer not to rinse not because of possible contaminants in the water but from the additional handling of the equipment required to rinse it.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahu
Do I desanitize things when I run tap water over them? Like if I want to clean the excess cleanser from my autosiphon can I rinse with unboiled water? Or does tap water leave things sanitary after it dries? What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance!
Unless you're using a "one-step" cleaner/sanitizer, your equipment is NOT sanitized after cleansing. You need to rinse the cleanser of thourghley, then sanitize. If you use a no rinse sanitizer (like Iodophor or Quat)) then don't rinse after sanitizing.
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 09-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

I bought some Star San which is no-rinse, but it bubbled up like soap while I was adding water. When I dumped it all out, there was bubbles left on the bucket so I gave it a rinse. I was worried that the sanitizer residue would kill my yeast. Is that a silly worry, or a valid concern?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
El Pistolero

Recipes 

I haven't used Star San, but I guess if I could see the residue, then I'd probably rinse it just like you did. But, they couldn't get away with labeling it as "no rinse" if a small amount of residue was going to harm your yeast.
Secondary -

Old 09-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Understand that what we're shooting for is sanitized, but not sterile. As soon as your stuff hits the air, it's getting covered in micro organisms. The idea of rinsing with municipally supplied tap water is that the stuff is chlorinated enough to be sterile in the pipe. Which is to say, go ahead and rinse with it. What you've done with your sanitizing solution is wipe out whatever little colonies of greebies are beginning to live on your equipment. Then when you brew, you add yeast which quickly takes control of the environment and eradicates the chances of survival for any other type of organism.

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 09-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
The idea of rinsing with municipally supplied tap water is that the stuff is chlorinated enough to be sterile in the pipe.
I hate to disagree with someone much more experienced than myself...but I don't believe that anyone claims that chlorinated water is sterile. I'm not saying rinsing is necessarily a bad thing, but if the concentration of chlorine in tap water was high enough to sterilize, then you could just use tap water as a sanitizer...and we all know you can't do that.

Oahu...what I've done when I felt compelled to rinse what's already been sanitized is to boil a large pot of water then dip the stuff I want to rinse in that. That way at least you're rinsing with water that you know is sterile.
Secondary -

Old 09-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #8
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go ahead and disagree with me, EP. What you say makes sense - if water was THAT chlorinated, then we could sanitize with it... so maybe it's treated some other way I don't know about. All my books say tap water is basically sterile. Fact is, I don't really know, but what I do know is if I don't rinse that pink $hit out really really good my beer tastes like swimming pool.

Boiling is probably the safest for your rinse water.

While we're yakking, does anyone know what ozonation does in terms of microbes? Can yeast access oxygen from ozonated water??

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 09-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
I hate to disagree with someone much more experienced than myself...but I don't believe that anyone claims that chlorinated water is sterile. I'm not saying rinsing is necessarily a bad thing, but if the concentration of chlorine in tap water was high enough to sterilize, then you could just use tap water as a sanitizer...and we all know you can't do that.
Not to mention that if the concentration of chlorine in tap water was high enough to cause it to be sterile, it would wreak havoc on you when you drank it!

Old 09-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I bought some Star San which is no-rinse, but it bubbled up like soap while I was adding water. When I dumped it all out, there was bubbles left on the bucket so I gave it a rinse. I was worried that the sanitizer residue would kill my yeast. Is that a silly worry, or a valid concern?
I use Star San religiously. The foaming is expected behaviour as it enables the sanitizer to get into small cracks or crevices in the surface of the equipment. And the bubbles/residue will not harm anything. I agree that it doesn't make any sense....the solution is strong enough to kill bacteria, but it won't kill your yeast...which is also bacteria....weird huh?

Anyway, I have poured cool wort into my carboy that had lots of residual foam from the sanitizer. There were no ill affects whatsoever. Here is the website for Five Star, the makers of Star San.

Also, one way to reduce the foaming is to add the Star San to the full carboy/bucket/etc rather than putting the Start San in first and filling with water.