Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Shed Mountain Ale Clone

Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #21
quigsnshad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This stuff on nitro might be too good. You'd end up having to move. And if you've got 20 gallons of this stuff, there's a house for sale right around the corner.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
Rolling_Thunder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigsnshad View Post
This stuff on nitro might be too good. You'd end up having to move. And if you've got 20 gallons of this stuff, there's a house for sale right around the corner.
You have a good point there, but I'm also onto your diabolical scheme... lol...

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
Rolling_Thunder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I did it. Recently equipped myself for a 20 gallon batch & obtained all the necessary goodies to keg with Beer Gas. Cooked up 20 gallons last Sat night & now have 4 five gallon buckets bubbling away almost halfway through a fermentation cycle. Had one five gallon bucket peter out 2 days after it started bubbling so I had to repitch the yeast in that one & it immediately came back to life and joined the others in vigorous sync.

As is typical with new stuff everything that could go wrong did in this attempt. My spankin new 20 gallon brew pot with weldless fittings began leaking as soon as I filled her up so I ended up having to drain 10 gallons of great store bought water all over my garage floor to fix the leaking problem, which meant I had to then go back to the store to get more water. Then all 4 new five gallon fermenting buckets showed up without the airlocks (my order was so large I didn't have time to inventory it to make sure everything showed up until I got into cooking it) so I had to make airlocks at 1am (fixing the leaking, buying more water, setting up my new grain mill and crushing the grains, cooking process, making 4 airlocks out of 16 oz. water bottles and getting it all into the primary fermenters in equal ratios took 14 hours). So in 1 1/2 weeks this brew will get pushed out of a keg & through a Guinness tap by Beer Gas & into a Sam Adams beer glass where I hope it will be as satisfying as I've imagined it will be. Won't be long now...

Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #24
Rolling_Thunder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update: This stuff on beer gas has been a remarkable hit. The visual display of the cascading nitro & CO2 in the glass wows you first then the creamy smoothness & lack of overpowering CO2 enables you to taste all the nuances of this brew. You get a MUCH greater appreciation of what this brew is on beer gas. This recipe done with regular CO2 is sex with a condom. This recipe on beer gas is sex without a condom. Either way you're gonna enjoy it, but if you can have it one way you'll enjoy it even more.......Cheers!
Bk2X Likes This 
Old 11-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #25
ScootersAle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This thread is interesting. I'm a fan of this beer (although didn't like most of the other beers from The Shed).

Thought I should point out that The Shed closed a few weeks ago. It was just announced however, that Otter Creek, a brewery in Middlebury, VT is taking over The Shed's equipment and recipes so that a few of their beers will live on. From what I've heard The Shed may open again somewhere else, but that it is unlikely being that the owners are getting up their in age.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #26
Roost3r
Recipes 

I found this thread during my attempts to find the mtn ale recipe. I too found out that they closed. I was lucky enough to get the last private keg of this magical elixir. I fell in love with the mtn ale in November of '08 while in Stowe for an auto race. I wasn't a big dark beer drinker, and tried a pint. After my second pint, I bought a growler to have when I got home. 2 weeks later I was back up in the area and got my first keg. Almost 3 years and 19 kegs later, I was told that they were closing the doors. I knew Kathy and Ken only briefly, but they all new me as the guy with the 5 tap kegerator from NH. To say I had an obsession with this beer, is an understatement, and I was not alone. As I had it on tap constantly, I turned other onto this wonderful concoction.

RT, thanks for the recipe, I'll try it out. I have another recipe that is close (made up by a HB shop that knew one of the brewers). It's close, and in some ways almost better. Once I get the secret ingredient, I'll post it up as well.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #27
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, sad to hear the brewery's closing. If you've got inside info on the recipe, please share it!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #28
Roost3r
Recipes 

Unfortunately it closed on Oct 17th. I'm still getting used to this forum, but where can I reference Jesters recipe in the OP?
Tap #1 Le Petite Orange (NB)
Tap #2 Shed Mountain Ale (kicked)
Tap #3 Mountain Ale clone (almost kicked)
Tap #4 Strong Ale (NB)
Tap #5 Bourbon Barrel Porter (NB)

Old 11-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #29
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/sweet-success-24867/

Old 11-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #30
Rolling_Thunder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, very sad to hear the Shed Closed. Hopefully this & Jester's recipe will continue the legacy and enable those that enjoyed the original to keep a "redheaded stepchild" version around in remembrance of what was. To the shed!