Austin Homebrew is the best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
Not to gush too much, but I just had an instance where my CC was subject to some fraud. Got that crap taken care of, but somehow in the mix, they assumed, despite my telling them so, that my last order from AHS wasn't legit.

It has since been corrected, but in the meantime, AHS sent me a coupon for 10% off my next purchase. Since the issue was on my end and not theirs, I deleted the offer and send them a 'thank you' e-mail. I appreciate the offer, but I'm also not about to take advantage of something when I didn't earn it.

I just figured that I'd send them a 'shout out' for being such a fantastic company for sending me a discount for an error that wasn't my fault. I'm not taking advantage of it because it wouldn't be right, but just wanted to let you all know that they are this kind of a stand up company. :mug:

I look foreward to doing MUCH more business with them in the future. Thank you soo much, guys for the offer. These guys are great. Again, thank you so much.

I got the same email.My account was one of the ones compromised. I didn't let that stop me from doing business with them though.

This just proves what a class act AHS is,many thanks to forrest for the offer!

Not to gush too much, but I just had an instance where my CC was subject to some fraud. Got that crap taken care of, but somehow in the mix, they assumed, despite my telling them so, that my last order from AHS wasn't legit.

It has since been corrected, but in the meantime, AHS sent me a coupon for 10% off my next purchase. Since the issue was on my end and not theirs, I deleted the offer and send them a 'thank you' e-mail. I appreciate the offer, but I'm also not about to take advantage of something when I didn't earn it.

I just figured that I'd send them a 'shout out' for being such a fantastic company for sending me a discount for an error that wasn't my fault. I'm not taking advantage of it because it wouldn't be right, but just wanted to let you all know that they are this kind of a stand up company. :mug:

I look foreward to doing MUCH more business with them in the future. Thank you soo much, guys for the offer. These guys are great. Again, thank you so much.

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/ever-have-credit-card-number-stolen-223663/

More likely than not, if you've ordered from Austin Homebrew Supply from mid Jan through the beginning of Feb. this year, they're the reason you experienced credit card fraud. Thus the 10% coupon for the trouble :confused:

Havent tried them yet but Northern Brewery i like how they emphasis freshness on the extract and they have great packaging. I just received some midwest suplies and not so great packaging the yeast was loose and hops which could have poked holes from the other items i got,didnt care for that. Although i got it twice as fast that was a bonus and their shipment packaging tracking isnt up and current yet.

So, has it been established that everyone's card information was compromised, or are they only sending out the 10% coupons to those who were stolen?

'Cause I just got the email.

Just wanted to find out what the deal was. Haven't seen anything suspicious show up on my statements, yet.

I also recieved the email! very classy but I already placed two large order since all the CC stuff started. Wish I would have had this a day earlier would have saved me a pretty penny. Maybe Ill find a reason to order again by the end of the month, if not oh well.

Skoal!

They narrowed it down to orders placed Mid January to early Feb (supposedly).
I ordered on 2/16 and haven't seen any funny activity, or received any letters. Hoping it stays that way too~!

I had an early February order that was in the time frame of the data theft and just recently had fraudulent charges. Austin Homebrew was very upfront about the issue and I don't hold it against them in the slightest. It's definitely not the first time I've had fraudulent charges, and probably won't be the last, these credit card rings are pretty insidious.

What amazes me is how fast that they'e managed to rack up fraudulent charges on so many credit cards. There must be quite a group of people doing it!

Couldn't agree more. Had some fraud charges after my order in Jan. but even the acknowledgement they sent out meant a lot; the 10% coupon was over the top. All my online orders will be with them. They are what any vendor should strive to be.

I placed my order on 1/30. Haven't seen anything to this point, but now I'm starting to worry a bit.

Hadn't been keeping up with everything on the board the last few weeks.

Have you seen this thread?

Actually, this is the 1st I'm hearing about this. Wow. Like a few people have said, I appreciate them trying to make things right. I had 3 faud transactions posted to my account. The CC company picked up on it pretty quickly and got ahold of me, but still.....:eek:

Havent tried them yet but Northern Brewery i like how they emphasis freshness on the extract and they have great packaging. I just received some midwest suplies and not so great packaging the yeast was loose and hops which could have poked holes from the other items i got,didnt care for that. Although i got it twice as fast that was a bonus and their shipment packaging tracking isnt up and current yet.

Rest assured our extract is the freshest possible. We sell an average of 1000 pounds a day. 365,000 pound a year. As much as 7,300 kindergartners weigh.

Forrest

So, has it been established that everyone's card information was compromised, or are they only sending out the 10% coupons to those who were stolen?

'Cause I just got the email.

Just wanted to find out what the deal was. Haven't seen anything suspicious show up on my statements, yet.

I sent coupons only to the people that had or could have had a problem.

Forrest

I got the coupon and I have to say it's a damn shame. It's causing me TOO much trouble trying to figure out what to order next:D

I sent coupons only to the people that had or could have had a problem.

Forrest

Thanks for the head's up, Forrest! It is greatly appreciated.

I understand all the pitfalls that come with coordinating a business, as well as dealing with 3rd parties. I know this has been a bad time for y'all, and it's been a worrisome time for a lot of people that love the service you provide and were affected by all of this.

I would've continued ordering regardless of the coupon, but I really do appreciate the gesture, and will definitely take you up on the offer!

I just used my coupon. Ordered my first lager, an irish summer ale and a rootbeer kit for my son. I need to stop going to that site. I've spent a ton lately.

Kinda makes me wish I WAS affected... 10% would be nice right now! lol
But then again, I'm glad I wasn't. Fighting with my bank doesn't sound like much fun.

"No-one ever pays me in Trident Layers! :("

I was one of those who had their cc info stolen...and i, too, received the email.

lol, AHBS is def. doing what it takes to take care of thier customers. I am always surpised to see that people are surprised by these types of fraud. Its just to easy to do and everyone will see it is not only part of business these days but it going to get much much much more common. IMHO

A 10% coupon doesn't replace the money i lost by having late payments since my account is now empty. Im waiting for the fraud management to retrieve my money so i can pay my bills. Plus this could easily happen again granted it could happen anywhere and this is a nice gesture. I'll be shopping at other vendors from now on.

I was affected by fraudulent charges. Luckily, my bank caught them the day after they occurred as I was unaware. Two of the charges were cancelled before they posted to my account so I only had to wait for one to be refunded.
I don't fault Austin home brew for the problem. It just happens. I appreciate the coupon, they didn't have to send us anything. I'll be ordering from them for all my needs. I have my products on two days. And next time I'm in Austin I'll definitely be stopping in.

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone dealing with this today as well. Only got hit for about $200 on my credit card and that should be taken care of once the "fraud investigation" is over. There were 3 other small charges pending. It seems they test the waters with a small less than $1.00 charge then hit it for 50-150. It would have been worse for me without the email that got me looking at my account this morning.

A 10% coupon doesn't replace the money i lost by having late payments since my account is now empty. Im waiting for the fraud management to retrieve my money so i can pay my bills. Plus this could easily happen again granted it could happen anywhere and this is a nice gesture. I'll be shopping at other vendors from now on.

:confused:

I recieved the coupon, but unfortunately had already ordered 100+ the week before. I had a pain in the ass filling out paperwork to get things straight, but its water under the bridge now. My CC company caught it early, but a couple charges did get through.

Hey Forrest, how about giving me a coupon for April or May when I will actually need more supplies? If not I want to donate my coupon to someone here who can use it!!:mug:

I recieved the coupon, but unfortunately had already ordered 100+ the week before. I had a pain in the ass filling out paperwork to get things straight, but its water under the bridge now. My CC company caught it early, but a couple charges did get through.

Hey Forrest, how about giving me a coupon for April or May when I will actually need more supplies? If not I want to donate my coupon to someone here who can use it!!:mug:

I didn't even realize it expires March 31st. That kindof sucks. Oh well.

Are the only people affected are the people who ordered online? I am lucky enough to be able to just swing by the store and get what I need, but I wold like to make sure that my transactions are secure as well.

Couldn't agree more. Had some fraud charges after my order in Jan. but even the acknowledgement they sent out meant a lot; the 10% coupon was over the top.

10% over the top? Psssh. I had to change a crapload of autopay accounts, was on the phone with cc company for a while, had to sign forms, etc. and i was one of the lucky ones. Some people were very negatively affected...at least one person's bank account was completely drained because they got his debit card #. My trouble wasn't worth 10%...that other guy's was definitely not.

The info that was posted in that thread that indicated that AHS runs their cards manually concerns me as well as the info that credit card info was stored on their computers for 1 to 1.5 weeks.

I'm probably not going to order again unless there's some e-mail indicating that they are using decent year-2011-worthy CC transaction methods.

I read this post after I recently ordered for the first time (after the fraud incident).

It sucks that AHS had to be the example, but it also tells me they were hit for a reason: they're a good business that generates customers.

Now that they've been hit, they've ramped up security and I doubt a thief would crack the same spot twice.

I will probably order from AHS from now on (not only due to their price) - but also the fact that they have been hit once, and very publicly.

I was happy to see the coupon. Those perlicks are MINE! But yea I was one of the unlucky few who actually got their card used. lucky I had 70 bucks on the card and the jerk tried to spend 300 something. The card auto declined and I canceled it before any real damage was done.

WOW If I didnt have a really good LHBS 5 minutes from my hose I would be dealing with this company. After reading this thread I am glad. But sounds like AHBS is taking care of everybody. Good Job.

My credit card got hit and I got the coupon. I will be placing an order next week so I can brew after my finals are wrapped up.

I just opened my first order from these folks last night. Being a Texan and a Longhorn i felt it necessary to support the homeboys. I only have one complaint - I like the graphics on my tees on the back and the one I ordered has it on the front.

Seriously, great stuff and I cannot wait to get me kits going.

Latest posts

Back