Can't get it in snugly! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Can't get it in snugly!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Brewing Clamper
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Posts: 2,846
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts



I have this thermowell from Darrin and this temp sensor (k-type) but the sensor has a lot of wiggle room in the thermowell. How do I fix it? Thanks guys & gals!



Reason: New links!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 58,365
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Sorry. The images do not tell a single thing about the parts that you have.
It appears that the threads on the probe do not match the thermal well.
What are we talking about.

How about a link to the part instead of a picture.

Just saying...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
zilch
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Winnipeg
Posts: 163
Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts


Who's Snugly?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Brewing Clamper
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Posts: 2,846
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Sorry. The images do not tell a single thing about the parts that you have.
It appears that the threads on the probe do not match the thermal well.
What are we talking about.

How about a link to the part instead of a picture.

Just saying...
My bad, I changed the links to the items I purchased. The thermowell is just that, there is no thread on the inside. The Thermocouple has a Male thread that seems non-standard, somewhere between 1/4" and 1/3" maybe...

I might just dismantle the thermocouple's bolt segment, keeping the sensor intact and epoxy it into the thermowell... maybe...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 301 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper View Post
My bad, I changed the links to the items I purchased. The thermowell is just that, there is no thread on the inside. The Thermocouple has a Male thread that seems non-standard, somewhere between 1/4" and 1/3" maybe...

I might just dismantle the thermocouple's bolt segment, keeping the sensor intact and epoxy it into the thermowell... maybe...
The thermal well is one issue. The second issue is the temp probe is metric. You are going to have issues putting those parts together.

You might want to go to a hardware store and buy a nut that fits on the temp probe threads. Then an o-ring that is a snug fit. This way you can put the probe directly through the kettle wall.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


I suggest trying to remove the bolt from the thermocouple if you think you can do it without damaging the probe. That kind of threaded attachment is meant to screw into the side of a kiln or something dry. The bolt freely spins around the probe and cable.

You don't need it in this case. You want to be able to insert that probe all the way into the thermowell, and that bolt is in your way.

In fact, even if the bolt did fit in snugly, you wouldn't get good temp readings because the tip of the probe is too close to the outside world.

The PID I bought came with that kind of probe and I've never even taken it out of the baggie it was in. Just threw it in a box since it wasn't really suitable for what I wanted to do.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
The thermal well is one issue. The second issue is the temp probe is metric. You are going to have issues putting those parts together.

You might want to go to a hardware store and buy a nut that fits on the temp probe threads. Then an o-ring that is a snug fit. This way you can put the probe directly through the kettle wall.
What P-J suggests here is an option.. I think The Pol did this a long time ago... but you will also have to seal up the tip of the probe. Liquid will leak through the gap between the probe and the drilled out bolt.

If you try and cut the bolt off and mess it up, I can send you another probe exactly like that one. Mine is just sitting in a box unused.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump