Trip to ireland - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trip to ireland

Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
mafeeker
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Carbondale, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, I'm going to be taking a trip to Dublin in a few weeks and wanted to ask everyone here if they new any beers I should try to find and bring back, besides the obvious answer of Irish stouts. Any suggestions?

Secondary:

Lagering:

Kegged: Shakespeare stout clone on nitro, Columbung chuzzle IPA, Stone Pale Ale clone, Foreign Extra Stout, Irish Red

Bottled:

Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Joliet, IL
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I too am going to Ireland later this year. I've already started doing some research. So far I've found that the Beer Mapping Project is a pretty good resource. I really want to try some of the Galway Hooker beers.
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
mafeeker
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Carbondale, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you one of the many south side Irish going back to the motherland?

Secondary:

Lagering:

Kegged: Shakespeare stout clone on nitro, Columbung chuzzle IPA, Stone Pale Ale clone, Foreign Extra Stout, Irish Red

Bottled:

Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
rudu81
Recipes 

Nov 2010
cleveland, ohio

Get this: http://www.dublinpass.ie/dublinpass/ Covers airport transfer, city transit, museums, and the Guinness store house. Each entry there gets a free pint of beer and a great view of the city!!! My trip was pre-homebrew days, so I mainly had stout. SWMBO found a cider that was pretty good, but I can't recall the name.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
starrfish

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Florence, SC
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Inside the box... had a buddy bring me a real Guinness... life changing experience.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
loapathy
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Maine
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Last time I was there I had soemthing called "brainblaster" from Porterhouse Brewing, I think. it was on tap at the pub down the road from where my relatives lived. Expensive! But tasty.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6809 Times on 4024 Posts

IMO, Guiness in Ireland was lacking. Better back here. I drank Smithwicks most of the time. Good luck, I was disappointed.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I would try to find as many beers served from a cask/beer engine as possible. Totally different flavor, absolutely the best way to serve beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 03-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #9
mafeeker
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Carbondale, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been to Ireland before, but I wasn't into brewing like I am now, and didn't have such an appreciation for beer as I do now. I thought Guinness was much better there, though. You just can't get it like that here.

Secondary:

Lagering:

Bottled:

Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
kc.rkitek
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Overland Park, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by loapathy
Last time I was there I had soemthing called "brainblaster" from Porterhouse Brewing, I think. it was on tap at the pub down the road from where my relatives lived. Expensive! But tasty.
True...on Nassau near Trinity College (south side) and the infamous Molly Mallone, hit Porterhouse for a pint or two. The pub grub is pretty good and their stout was good, especially after a long walk! This was actually the only pub in Dublin I went to that didn't serve Guinness.