So this was initially brewed as a birthday gift for SWMBO, who isn't into beer but occasionally finds some that she likes beyond PBR and beer pong, one of those happens to be New Belgium Framboozen. I looked for some recipes online, based on what I found I mashed the info into this partial recipe This did not taste like it but did turn out to be a very drinkable Raspberry Brown Ale i.e. its not too sweet.
I'm using 2 16 qt kettles for my partial boil, with the raspberry slurry addition I don't try to measure cause trying to figure out the volume, starting gravity and an addition of liquid and sugar 4 days in makes me need a beer
Steep the following grains at ~151 for 30 min - 1 hr
1 lb Crystal 40
1 lb Victory
.5 lb Chocolate
I know the Victory need mashed to convert but it's more about the flavor, the most recent batched i left at 151 for an hour and loosely followed DeathBrewers partial mash from here:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/
Ferment-ables are :
3.3 lbs muntons Light L.M.E.
3.3 lbs muntons Amber L.M.E.
Add those and bring back to a boil, addition schedule is simply:
.4 oz Magnum @ 55 min
.1 oz Irish Moss @ 20 (1 tsp)
I cool and end up with roughly 3 - 3.5 gal of wart depending on how close I cut it during the boil. Then I top of to roughtly 4.5 Gal and pitch:
2 packs Whyeast - 1338 English Ale
After 3 or 4 days of Fermenting at 68 its time to prepare the slurry:
I use apprx. 2 lbs of frozen raspberry (not stored in sugar or syrup)
I use a 1/2 crushed P. Campden tap for a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag, first batch i just put the raspberries in the water, this time i blended 2 of the 3 12oz packages then added the third with some water.
Mix it all up good and put the ziplock in the fridge for 24 hrs.
After 24 hours, sanitize the ziplock and your funnel and drop in the contents of the bag (water + Berries). I typically sanitize a good chop stick (the kind your wash) or something similar to push the berries into my carboy.
My LHBS informed me that i should only keep it on the berries for 2 weeks max, I usually transfer to a secondary 5 gal carboy (try to get everything in between the trub and the floating berry carcasses, for the second round i'm using a hopsock on an auto siphon) for an addition 14 days to clarify, I'm sure you can use any method you want and it will still be beer.
If your sight measurement of liquids (or if you've Graduated your carboys) than you should end up with 5 gal in the Corny.
Then its into a Keg with 1/3 cup priming sugar for 2-3 weeks.
I'm currently running my second batch, the volumes are a pain but enough people convinced me to try it again so maybe its worth it.