Music was better Then - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Music was better Then

Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #21
bengerman
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Redmond, Washington
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

i'm the youngest to post so far at 22, and i have to say it's more statistics than quality, as in, listening to 65-80s stuff, you're only going to hear what everyone has decided is best, the tried and true kind of stuff. you're filtering out the crap that was on the radio for a week before everyone realized it sucked.

the radio these days does suck, but i don't listen to it (apart from at work)
you can find good stuff, you just have to hunt it down (just like everyone else has said.) you'll be the filter for the next generation, that'll make them think that music was better from 95-2010s. (or worse....)
i'm all over the place, taste-wise, new and old, bluegrass, metal, swing, big band, hip-hop, calssic rock.
Keg: Proto-Porter

Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #22
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Southern Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509inc View Post
Good music is still being made just not played on most stations. You have to search for it like Indian Jones.
Agreed (except I don't know who Indian Jones is?)

I'll go against the grain here and say that there is MORE great music being made now than ever before. You have to search it out, talk to your friends, listen to some alternative sources, go to concerts of bands you haven't heard of. There are so many more artists out there than we've seen in the past. many of the best don't even have a recording contract.

I love great music of all eras, but peaked? Hardly.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 03-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #23
RMitch
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Boston, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

^Part of it is that we are living in the here and now, so our views are diluted. If music is considered an art...just look at how many great artists over the years were not respected until long after they were gone?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #24
ezzieyguywuf
Recipes 

Dec 2010
raleigh, nc

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm 22. I listened to some erykah badu et al on pandora today...it was magical.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #25
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7015 Times on 4152 Posts

These are the good old days

Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #26
RMitch
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Boston, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

^Didn't she cause some big thing cause she got naked? Ha.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #27
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7015 Times on 4152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMitch View Post
^Didn't she cause some big thing cause she got naked? Ha.
I love Carly Simon. Don't know about the naked thing, but I'm willing to learn But the song was ruined when it was used in a ketchup commercial. Great, great song, back when lyrics and lyricism meant something.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #28
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

I'm turning 40 this year and have to agree with Meaty. There's great music in all decades, you just don't hear the crappy stuff from the other decades like you do more recent stuff. You're only getting the cream from the past. There's tons of great stuff in all genres out now. You just have to pick and choose and find it.

I used to like Alternative radio, but nowadays "alternative" is what's mainsteam so WTF does the term "alternative" mean anymore? As soon as U2 won a Grammy for Best Alternative Act, you knew it was dead.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #29
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts

For me, alternative is still more for older bands (most not around anymore, or are not alternative anymore)... Groups/bands like Garbage, Siouxsi & the Banshees, Lush, etc... Sadly, most of the good ones are no longer making music...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #30
SICCNESS
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Seattle, Washington

Most music these days is complete garbage. I do agree there is some alright music coming out, but it is far and few between. 60's to the 90's had some great music. The past ten years haven't had any great music. If Lady Gaga keeps going strong then the next ten years may be just as bad.