Music was better Then - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Music was better Then

Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
menschmaschine

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Delaware
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

I take the point that music had a certain peak '65 to '80, but I think '80 to about '95 also had some good offerings... just different than the '65 to '80 period. It's very down hill after about '95. That's about the time technology took over and record labels stopped taking "risks" (paying to develop artists).

Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #12
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts

Also 24. I definitely like 80s music, and 50s were pretty good as well. I was a band nerd (still am I guess as I dabble in guitar now) in High School and I can appreciate all kinds of music. I will say that for the most part though, one genre of music that has changed post 1995 is country. It is not the slow twangy music that it used to be. It is more Rock/Pop than what is considered Pop Music today. Also, Brad Paisley is one of the most amazing guitar players I have ever seen/heard

Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #13
ezzieyguywuf
Recipes 

Dec 2010
raleigh, nc

<apply flame retardent clothing>
I listen to a lot of hip-hop, and I'll agree that the golden-era for this genre was the late eigthies through the early nineties. Throughout the nineties we had some stars, i.e. nas, talib kweli etc but even they bought into the whole commercial thing. Lately? I enjoy nice female vocalists like Norah Jones, Corinne Bailey Rae, even Keyshia Cole and Jazmine Sullivan.

On that note, though, I prefer my Nina Simone, Billy Holliday (sp?) and Eta James from back in the day. So I guess I see where you're coming from. But I don't think that modern music is a complete flop, specially with local artists like some of those here in the Raleigh area doing work like they do.

edit:
<raise flame shield>

Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
tbel

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Rochester, mn
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well my 17yr old daughter like the stuff I listen to and it ranges from 50s to recent stuff.
Country, Blues, Classical and just about and iteration of rock. If you have an appreciation for music you'll find something just about anywhere.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #15
o4_srt
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Lancaster, PA
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I think we need to clarify here: music plate on most radio stations these days is not what it used to be. There is still a lot of good new music out there, you just have to search for it. The radio plays what the record companies want the masses to like. Mostly fundamentally boring, cookie cutter songs. Nothing too intricate, challenging, unique, or interesting to listen to.

But even then, rock and roll in the 50's was mostly built on the 12 bar blues chord progression, and was easy to play, and easy to listen/dance to. Perhaps popular music just bores me.

The exception is college radio stations, decent stuff on a lot of them.

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #16
phidelt1499
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4_srt View Post
I think we need to clarify here: music plate on most radio stations these days is not what it used to be. There is still a lot of good new music out there, you just have to search for it. The radio plays what the record companies want the masses to like. Mostly fundamentally boring, cookie cutter songs. Nothing too intricate, challenging, unique, or interesting to listen to...

Definitely agree. I can't stand top 40 radio stations.

Top 40 Radio = BMC. This should explain things

Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #17
Butcher
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Ohio
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Garth Brooks sent country music straight to hell. I hate pop country, I haven't listened to much country music on the radio in years now and the few times Ive heard it Ive rarely liked what I heard.

Ceedubya Likes This 
Old 03-03-2011, 04:07 AM   #18
Special Hops
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Kanatenah
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

There is lot's of good new music out there. But it's not played on the radio.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
RMitch
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Boston, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think some of the greatest music came out of the 90s.

Third Eye Blind
Spin Doctors
Counting Crows
Nirvana
Green Day (90s Green Day)

I blame the downfall on boy bands/britney spears. Music was good up until then...MTV actually played videos regularly up until then too.

As for the 00s...maybe...

Interpol
Silversun Pickups
Taking Back Sunday
Foo Fighters
Jimmy Eat World
MGMT

Problem is that in the 00s, music became much too divisive. Everything was filtered strictly into specific categories, and the artists subsequently tried to live up to those stereotypical categories rather than make original music.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts

Wow... What a bunch of softies... [shields UP!]

No one's mentioned Metallica, Slipknot, Korn, NiN, Rob Zombie, the list goes on... On the more 'mellow' side of things, you have Gorillaz, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Primus, and so many more...

What one person considers good music can be considered crap by another.

Personally, I don't bother with the radio, unless my iPod is on the fritz (I connect it to the stereo in the truck every time I drive)... I don't have a radio at home, and don't bother with internet based radio music 99.995% of the time.

For the record, I'm 40... So I've been around long enough to remember the good music of the past 3+ decades. I also know there was plenty of pure crap released in all of them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine