Question about co2 and fittings. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Question about co2 and fittings.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
mzaremba
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Brighton, MA
Posts: 3


I have decided to keep my co2 tank outside of my fridge due to space issues. My question is whether I can use some sort of plastic barb fitting through the wall of my fridge instead of using a stainless steel bulkhead to connect the co2 lines? I cannot imaging that the material of the fitting plays a roll when deal with gas but I wanted to double check before making any mistakes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaremba View Post
I have decided to keep my co2 tank outside of my fridge due to space issues. My question is whether I can use some sort of plastic barb fitting through the wall of my fridge instead of using a stainless steel bulkhead to connect the co2 lines? I cannot imaging that the material of the fitting plays a roll when deal with gas but I wanted to double check before making any mistakes.
I don't think it would matter, but why not just drill a hole the same size as your gas line and run the line straight through with no extra hardware involved?
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
porchinit
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Normal, IL
Posts: 1

I'm doing the same thing with mine, as far as I understand, you don't need something there, but you can if you want to. I was thinking of using something like this, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10234

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
mzaremba
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Brighton, MA
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I don't think it would matter, but why not just drill a hole the same size as your gas line and run the line straight through with no extra hardware involved?
My main concerns are aesthetic and loss of cold air.


Quote:
Originally Posted by porchinit View Post
I'm doing the same thing with mine, as far as I understand, you don't need something there, but you can if you want to. I was thinking of using something like this, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10234
I was trying to go without spending the extra money on shipping and stainless steel if it wasn't necessary

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,884
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


Oversize the hole and put a grommet on both sides.

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaremba View Post
My main concerns are aesthetic and loss of cold air.




I was trying to go without spending the extra money on shipping and stainless steel if it wasn't necessary
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
rabeb25
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Albertville MN
Posts: 509
Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts


Ahh, foam or silicone also.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
Linkin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Woburn, MA
Posts: 13

I drilled a hole just the size of the OD of my tube. Its a snug fit and I am not losing any significant amount of cold air through it. Try just drilling a hole and if you think you are losing cold air, caulk or put an o-ring on either side. You may be over-thinking this.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for plumbers or the experts in fittings gunner65 DIY Projects 9 01-21-2012 07:21 PM
Which fittings? ronstar55 Brew Stands 8 01-09-2011 03:56 AM
Much thanks to Bargain Fittings! slakwhere Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 06-28-2010 04:25 PM
All PVC/plastic MLT fittings? tidehouse Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 06-21-2009 12:50 PM
Copper fittings noisy123 Chillers & Stir Plates 6 07-18-2008 07:50 PM


Forum Jump