Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #941
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I tried a new 'mod' in a an attempt to keep from getting loose grains in my pump while brewing Edwort's Haus Pale Ale today. I cut a small hole in the bottom of a nylon paint strainer bag, put the bottom plate and screen in, then the bag. Poured in the grain and added the screen and the top plate and then let the elastic wrap around the top plate. Figured this would capture any strays perfectly. Figured wrong! Within 3 min I've got a grain rattling in my pump! The overall escapees are way down and the wort is clearer than ever before - not sure how the lone grain made it past but seems to have minimized things a bit. Will let you know how it turns out once the beer is done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-696782933.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	35125  
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #942
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I wonder how it would work if you put the bag in first and then the screen?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #943
beefeater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
I purchased my BM from Thorsten( morebeer4u) and got it from Germany.
It took 4 weeks.

again, anyone has experience with wheat in braumeister ?

Think I mentioned it earlier, but I've had circulation issues twice out of about 25 batches on the Braumeister. Those were two consecutive batches of witbier using 50% unmalted wheat. No rice hulls.

I've made a few stouts with up to 25% flaked barley and no rice hulls. Never had any issues with those.

I would have gone for a 100% barley brew for my first try, to learn to use the system with a grist not likely to mess things up.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #944
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
I wonder how it would work if you put the bag in first and then the screen?
It would have likely have been better, but believe they are escaping through the hole in the middle post. Going to try that next brew and see how it goes. That said, outside of the loan grain, it was the clearest wort I've ever had with the BM and didn't seem to impact pump flow or efficiency. I did end up at a lower OG than the recipe but forgot to adjust my process from a 90 min boil to the 60 minutes Ed calls out in his recipe. (Wanted to follow exactly). Given I missed 30 minutes of boil off, I ended up at 1051 vs 1060. That's fine as it will just make the beer that more sessionable.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #945
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have to admit that even that I can always SEE some loose grains floating around (and they must be getting into the pump because when I clean it there are a couple of them always inside), but I can never HEAR anything out of the ordinary, any grinding noise, etc. Smooth humming is all I hear.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #946
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mako, I've been using a piece of cheesecloth wrapping it around the edge of the sieve and SS mesh. Since I've done this I haven't had a single pump failure, whereas before I had them every brew session. The cloth prevents the grain from coming out the top but doesn't restrict the flow. I don't do it to the bottom sieve because it sits on the ledge pressed into the malt pipe so there are no gaps. I haven't noticed grain coming up through the center hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00072.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	35201

I also made a 1500 watt heat stick (about $35 in parts) to kick up the boil.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #947
Redstag
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

hfk2
I like your idea of using the cheese cloth. I haven't had much trouble with the grains getting into the pump but I know it is a matter of time.Thanks for passing that on. I am totaly confused about the copper pipe that is in the photo. Could you please explain the how,why etc.
Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #948
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm experimenting with the pipe to create a whirlpool with my March pump. The end with the elbow (top of photo) goes into the kettle, the other end hangs over the top of the pot and is connected to a piece of high temp tubing that connects to the pump. I use it to create a whirlpool effect that helps to cool the wort much faster. (I use an immersion cooler) I can't say that it creates a great enough whirlpool effect to collect all the trub in the center but it does help the cooling. The cheese cloth fills the gap between the edge of the sieve and the pot. I have had grains get through that small space almost every brew which ended up in the pump, but this seems to seal it off.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #949
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post

I also made a 1500 watt heat stick (about $35 in parts) to kick up the boil.
Could you post the details please? This might be a nice project for the winter.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #950
Redstag
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info HFK2,
I hope you can work out the bugs. Maybe a bigger pipe moving a larger volume would get the job done.