Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster) - Page 214 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #2131
maducey
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6


Pretty sure they sell a smaller grain pipe for brewing smaller batches with the 50l.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #2132
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,184
Liked 752 Times on 579 Posts


Since we're in the topic how do you brew smaller batches on the bigger systems? I'm going to need to do this soon because my recipes grain bill's are too big for the smaller systems.
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Hefe
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Bourbon Chocolate RIS, Helles Lager, Best Bitter
On Deck : Pomegranate Berliner, Dortmunder Export, Espresso Brown

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #2133
tequilatom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
tequilatom's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
New Middletown, Ohio
Posts: 33
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


You can also modify the 50l malt pipe as I did to brew smaller high gravity batches.
look up what Batfink did in an earlier post (#1631 pg 164). I have brewed 6 gallon double IPA's using his modification, and can plug the holes with stainless bolts if i ever want to brew a larger batch. I used a Greenlee 1/2" hole punch to pop the holes in the tube. For a 16lb grain bill, I had to use 9 gallons of water, lost 2.5 gallons to absorption and boiloff, and 1/2 gallon to trub. Not sure how this will work with lower gravity beers, might want to get the smaller malt tube if you're going to brew those.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #2134
jdebonth
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 50
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Thanks for the reply's, I pulled the trigger on a 50L and picked it up yesterday from Brouwland here in Belgium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilatom View Post
You can also modify the 50l malt pipe as I did to brew smaller high gravity batches.
look up what Batfink did in an earlier post (#1631 pg 164). I have brewed 6 gallon double IPA's using his modification, and can plug the holes with stainless bolts if i ever want to brew a larger batch. I used a Greenlee 1/2" hole punch to pop the holes in the tube. For a 16lb grain bill, I had to use 9 gallons of water, lost 2.5 gallons to absorption and boiloff, and 1/2 gallon to trub. Not sure how this will work with lower gravity beers, might want to get the smaller malt tube if you're going to brew those.
Very interesting, I was thinking about this myself, didn't get far enough into this thread to see that it had been done. Great to be able to read up and see how people actually executed this and what results were obtained.

If one does a careful and clean job with the hole drilling and covering up with bolts/rubber o-rings I'm sure the 50L malt pipe can be setup to basically do anything you want it to; high gravity 5L/10L/15L batches etc.

I purchased the small malt pipe but may consider returning this if customising the 50L malt pipe is fairly straightforward. Will look to see how people have done it in the thread.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #2135
rbdanley
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 8


I had a strange event occur during brewing the other day with the Braumeister. During the mash, single infusion at 67C, the BM went into a pump rest at about 50 minutes in. When the pump break was over, the temperature showed 69 degrees, then rapidly increased to 102 degrees, shutting off the pump and heater. Measuring the mash, the temperature was actually 67 degrees.

I was unable to get the mash to finish, so I drained the malt pipe. I completely reprogrammed the BM, setting all mash phases to zero minutes. The BM went to the boiling part of the program, showed the correct temperatures, and finished the boil without incident.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What could cause this behavior? Bad temp probe? Computer glitch? Bad connection?

Any help would be appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #2136
dinnerstick
 
dinnerstick's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 2,019
Liked 271 Times on 198 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdanley View Post
I had a strange event occur during brewing the other day with the Braumeister. During the mash, single infusion at 67C, the BM went into a pump rest at about 50 minutes in. When the pump break was over, the temperature showed 69 degrees, then rapidly increased to 102 degrees, shutting off the pump and heater. Measuring the mash, the temperature was actually 67 degrees.

I was unable to get the mash to finish, so I drained the malt pipe. I completely reprogrammed the BM, setting all mash phases to zero minutes. The BM went to the boiling part of the program, showed the correct temperatures, and finished the boil without incident.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What could cause this behavior? Bad temp probe? Computer glitch? Bad connection?

Any help would be appreciated.
i would email speidel straight away. their customer service is very good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #2137
rbdanley
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 8


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i would email speidel straight away. their customer service is very good.
Thanks for the advice.

I reproduced the problem using a test run with water. The BM showed 94 degrees when the water was actually at 53 degrees.

I contacted Morebeer.com and they are having Speidel send me a new temperature probe. I'll also contact Speidel directly to see what they think.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #2138
jdebonth
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 50
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Is anyone having trouble with the flow rate through the malt pipe? I have now done two batches and in both cases have had issues with the flow rate up through the crushed grains. The seal underneath the grain pipe is broken and I can see water escaping/rushing out underneath.

The last brew I ensured a very course crush on the grains (barely crushed open) however the water was still escaping underneath the seal due to low flow rate, particularly at the start of the mashing.

There is no issue with the sealing surface as the empty drain grain pipe sits very flush on the inner surface of the braumeister.

I am using a corona grain mill which I believe might not be giving me the most consistent crush (seems like i am getting some barely crushed grains among some that are almost pulverized). Are people having this issue with the corona mill?

Also, I am using the 20L grain pipe on the 50L model, could this be part of the problem, I assuming this has a higher flow rate than the single pump in a 20L and also dual pumps but with a 50L pipe (which needs to pump up through a longer vertical distance, presumably slowing down the flow rate).

Are you guys generally finding the crush fineness to be finicky with this unit?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #2139
pjk49202
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
pjk49202's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Parker, CO, Colorado
Posts: 233
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Used my 20l tube for the first thus past Friday. I did not notice anything wrong/weird with the flow rate. Fwiw, I use my own mill at a factory setting of .4.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #2140
DeGarre
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Mommila, Finland
Posts: 157
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


I've noticed that the thread gets very quiet when pjk49202 posts something - I'd look into that disturbing avatar...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I met the Boulevard's Brewmaster Friday DannPM General Beer Discussion 1 02-02-2011 05:56 AM
braumeister noobster101 General Beer Discussion 22 06-03-2010 03:50 PM
#1 cool job: brewmaster Spunkmeyer General Beer Discussion 9 06-03-2008 03:50 AM
how to contact sierra nevada brewmaster grrtt78 General Beer Discussion 8 02-07-2007 06:19 PM


Forum Jump