Had my second Braumeister 20L brewday yesterday, and thought to share the experience. I brewed the same recipe (Pale Wheat) as before just changed up some things:
Ground Pils, Wheat seperately and finer. (Malt Conditioning leaves the husk, pericap mostly intact).
Filled with water to 25L mark, filled to 23L last time.
Changed mash schedule to include a feurilic acid rest.
Changed bittering hops, just adjusted for what I had on hand.
Checked Tmp, pH, EC, and SG along the way.
As per hfk2's cheescloth fix:
This way less flour and bits end up on the wrong side:
Post Mash-In, just as 1st phase was starting:
End of Mash-Out:
I sparged to a separate bucket, 2L at a time, for a total of 8L. Sparge SG went down from 1.028 to 1.024. I should have collected more, pH was 5.9.
With the thermal cover and the lid mostly on I got a boil off of 0.88GL for a total boil off of 1.32GL, which gave me an evaporation rate of 14.7%. I prefer 10%ish, so either will leave boil program at 100*C or will remove thermal cover once boil is underway and better adjust the opening of the lid.
This time around I ended up 6 points over. I was concerned about a stuck mash, but the malt conditioning and filling up with a couple of extra liters of H2O over the suggested kept the flow going pretty good.
I have a couple of other wheat recipes to brew, then I will try some saison recipes with simpler mash schedules and shorter boil times.
So far both Braumeister brewdays were approx. 10hrs including prep and cleanup. Not bad for 4-5 step mash schedule with a 90min boil. I would like to see if I could get an occasional 10GL batch done in that time. Makomachine put out the great idea of mashing in the Braumeister then transfering the wort to the stovetop for the first boil while the second batch gets added to the Braumeister.
Now all I need to do is build a couple more fermenters:
Thanks again to all the contributers, 2 Braumeister brews done and I am looking forward to the next one.