Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Why buy a kit?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
mmadmikes1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BTW kit juice packs are more than just juice. They have been sterilized(no bad bugs to worry about) Acids have been adjusted, Brix levels set,correct amounts of tannins added for style of wine. You can do all of the above yourself, but experience is need to get it right. I have dumped wine out in front yard more than once

Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3001 Times on 2908 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Wine kits are expensive compared to beer kits, but like WIP mentioned. Compare it to and equal quality store bought wine and how many bottles you get.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
BeerBrods22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Buying local... You are a saint, Or a hippie.
Just kidding buddy.
55+ship vs 80... I would buy it from India if I could!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Somehow I suspect the kit is 3 gallons of concentrated juice, that will make 5 or probably 6 gallons of finished wine.

That's what I'd expect for an $80 kit.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

His post said it made 3 gallons

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #16
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 62 Posts

Ice wines and port come in 3 gallon kits, but the vast majority are 6 gallons.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 AM   #17
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I didn't even consider it being an icewine in the original post. That makes more sense to me with the 3 gallon amount for that price.

I'd also factor in that the juice from the kits aren't just juice you'd find at a store, but often a specific set of grapes from different vineyards. Varieties you won't really see at a store, but maybe either at a vinyard or sometimes at a farmer's market. I'm sure there's a bit of a price due to the processing, but especially in the beginning I'd prefer a decent kit compared to getting the grapes, crushing and pressing. Especially since if I were to buy grapes on my own, it'd cost more than the kit. I'd have to go in with a group who buys grapes by the ton to get a price. Maybe I'll convince a friend to grow lots of grapes or something.

The farmer's market here often has varietal grapes from different farms in the fall. I'm not entirely sure why they do since I don't know if they'd work as table grapes since they're wine grapes, but they're around 5 dollars a pound and if I can assume I need at least 5 pounds of grapes per gallon, I'd be looking at $150 for enough grapes for 6 gallons plus the work involved (hence buying in bulk).

It really seems to be the same with other fruits as well, trying to find the different variety to acheive what you're aiming for, as well as correcting the acidity, ph, sweetness and so on.

Now if I found places selling pasturized (not preserved) 100% reisling grape juice, then yeah, I'd go for it. But then, you'd probably be looking at something priced like the kit anyways.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #18
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you go to vineyards you can get a little better price and all the ones I go to will even knock off some more if I pick them. All the ones I go to crush and de-stem for me. In the end with gas and time it would cost less to buy kits. Then I do get to pick what grape doesn't go in the box.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 140

If it's the millennium sparkling wine it is a 3 gallon kit and you pay a premium price for it. I have made it twice now and it is very good. I don't I could make sparkling wine of that quality with grapes on my first try.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Somehow I suspect the kit is 3 gallons of concentrated juice, that will make 5 or probably 6 gallons of finished wine.

That's what I'd expect for an $80 kit.
Final yield is 3 gallons. Prob only 1-2 gallons of concentrated juice. It's a sparkling wine, 3 gallon kit. I can find the same kit for 50.00 online + shipping. But it still comes out to $5 a bottle (750ml) instead of $15 in the store. 1/3 the price, a savings of 10.00 a bottle means for every bottle she drinks that's 10.00 closer to an all-grain setup for me!