Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Johnny hopseed
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
a-dam
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Momence, IL

gregpio85 and retrofit:

You know this is a good idea; great minds think alike. I'm in the Kankakee area and have recently been eyeing wild areas for "farming". Not only hops, because I have many interests.
Hops ain't kudzu, but I guess we should still be careful with all rhizome plants.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2378 Times on 1317 Posts

Most states have some sort of law against introducing invasive and/or nonnative species. I'm not sure if hops would be considered invasive or not, but it's something to consider before planting them in "wild" areas. Regards, GF.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
gregpio85
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Chicago, IL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Great input everyone. It's good to know I'm not the only one wanting to promote (sub)urban wild harvesting. I think I may end up jus arching with blackberries, grapes, and buckwheat for now until I own some land. Thanks all

Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #14
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Aurora, IL
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Well if the IL guys want to talk more, PM me. We aren't so far apart, that we couldn't develop a tactical plan. I lack the land to support my Juniper habit, but even if I leave this job I know my employer won't care if I continue to collect. I would love to gather a collection of sources for natural grown herbs and spices to add to my beers.