Dramatically improve your Stir Starter stir plate - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > Dramatically improve your Stir Starter stir plate

Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #21
Zen_Brew

Recipes 

May 2009
Seattle
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Nice mod Wildwest.

I actually just orderred the Stir Starter a couple days ago as my DIY unit has a failing fan and I didn't have the time to tinker with it right now. So now I know I can improve it as well.

Thanx!

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #22
LeonardZelig
Recipes 

Oct 2011
St. Louis, MO

Stir plate question: In the style in this picture, does it matter whether same or different poles are facing up on the magnets?

Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 AM   #23
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
West Jordan, UT
Liked 214 Times on 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardZelig View Post

Stir plate question: In the style in this picture, does it matter whether same or different poles are facing up on the magnets?
You want to alternate their orientation so that one has north up and one has south up. That way the north end of your stir bar hooks up well with the south on your stir plate. Likewise, the south end of your stir bar will hook up with the north on your plate.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #24
LeonardZelig
Recipes 

Oct 2011
St. Louis, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
You want to alternate their orientation so that one has north up and one has south up. That way the north end of your stir bar hooks up well with the south on your stir plate. Likewise, the south end of your stir bar will hook up with the north on your plate.
Thank you!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #25
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Just south of Cow Town, Tx
Liked 141 Times on 88 Posts

I just so happen to have (2) HUGE 3/4"x1/4" round Neo magnets! I bought a 5000ml flask today... looks like all I need left to do is make a trip to radio shack and the cigar shop!
I also need to source a stir bar... any suggestion as to what size I should get?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
epateddy
Recipes 

Aug 2011
whitman, ma
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I did this mod too and now I'm having the same issue others have reported. Stirplate sounds louder now - because the magnets are scraping the inside of the top cover. The motor runs for a bit and then stops. Can anyone share pics/notes about how they raised the cover? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
oceanselv
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Holly Springs, NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

epateddy;

did you get an answer from anyone? If so would you mind posting it here?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #28
epateddy
Recipes 

Aug 2011
whitman, ma
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't but the fix was pretty easy. I took a thin (1/4") piece of plywood and traced the outside profile of the stir plate on it. I cut that out and then cut out a smaller rectangle inside this piece of plywood. Then you mark the screw holes from the stir plate cover on the plywood. Then put the plywood between the cover and the stir plate body and screw it together. Not the best looking solution (I suppose you could paint the plywood to match the stir plate cover if you want) but it works. Raises the cover just enough to allow the magnets to spin without touching the cover when you have the weight of the starter on top.

Hope that helped.

60acresbrewclub Likes This