Ballast points sculpin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsagoodIPA

Reaction score
i said i had the recipe last night when i woke up this morning my inbox was filled soo here u go I got this recipe from the ballast point its a extract recipe i have yet to make it but used parts that i liked from it to create something new this ale is a more citrus like Ipa but with a kick let me know how it comes out CHeers:mug:

EXTRACT:
6 lbs Dried light malt extract (DME)
1 lbs corn sugar

HOPS
60 minutes
.50 oz warrior
.50 oz Magnum
.25 oz northern brewer
.25 oz columbus

30 minutes
.50 oz crystal
.25 oz centennial
.25 oz Simcoe

0 minutes
1.0 oz Amarillo

DRY HOP
2.0 oz of Amarillo
2.0 oz of Simcoe

YEAST
White labs california Ale yeast wlp001

AA% for the hops is

warrior 15.8
magnum 10.
northern ?
columbus 14.4
crystal ?
centennial 9.4
simcoe ??
amarillo 7. - 8.
thats all i got thus far cuz thoughs are hops i had handy and just read it right off the bag hope that helps

I love this beer, but I read that recipe and I would love to know what the brewer feels he gets from 4 different hop additions at 60 mins and 3 different ones at 30. Just seems too complex for no reason at all.

I love this beer, but I read that recipe and I would love to know what the brewer feels he gets from 4 different hop additions at 60 mins and 3 different ones at 30. Just seems too complex for no reason at all.

I thought the same but when i lookd at the taste they were going for it makes sence they were going for a lemon mango apricot grapefruit its what i got from the brewer its not a clone its just the exact extract recipe i havnt tried this exact recipe but i used it to create a hybrid version and its pretty citrus soo id like to see how this one come out i substituted the simcoe so id like to know if this isnt the recipe but again i did get it straight from nate at the homebrew/ ballast point brewery shop

seems pretty high IBU with few late additions - as I recall the BYO recipe for Racer 5 was similar timing for their hop schedule as well

very curious to hear some feedback after someone brews this - thanks for sharing

Just brewed a batch based off of this recipe last night. Currently it is bubbling like mad and leaving a nice alcohol smell in the room. I went with:
6# extra light dme
1# caravienna
7 oz maltadextrin
Boil 60 min:
.5 oz warrior
.5 oz magnum
.5 oz Columbus
Boil 30:
1 oz centennial
Flameout:
1 oz amarilo

I pitched with Nottingham.

Here is the beer advocate ag recipe for this. Gonna brew this as my next beer since it is so good.

North Star IPA (the homebrew recipe that became Sculpin). I'll leave cleaning up the formatting as an exercise for the brewer.

Grain/Extract/Sugar:
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
80.0 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) 1.8L America 1.036 2
7.3 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt USA 1.033 2
3.6 0.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 24
9.1 1.25 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.40 45.6 Mash H
0.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.30 35.9 60 min.
0.25 oz. Magnum Pellet 14.40 15.9 60 min.
0.25 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 7.10 7.8 60 min.
0.25 oz. Tomahawk, F-10 Variety Pellet 16.40 18.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Crystal Pellet 3.60 2.0 30 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.90 5.6 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.60 7.6 30 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.40 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.60 0.0 Dry Hop
2.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.40 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
1.00 Unit(s) Whirlfloc Tablets Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I chatted with a friend at ballast point and he said the hopping schedule from the beer advocate recipe was spot on. Mash low 148 for the all grain recipe. Rack to secondary for dry hopping, rouse on day 2 and 4 and once the dry hops drop out a second time you are good to keg or bottle.

I chatted with a friend at ballast point and he said the hopping schedule from the beer advocate recipe was spot on. Mash low 148 for the all grain recipe. Rack to secondary for dry hopping, rouse on day 2 and 4 and once the dry hops drop out a second time you are good to keg or bottle.

can you ask him about all that crystal, carapils and caravienne? my lhbs doesn't have caravienne and he recommended carahells. i searched a bit on here and just decided to go with crystal 15, and less carapils.

they also don't carry warrior so i substituted with Columbus. For the amarillo mash hops, i moved that to FW. i read alot on here a while ago it seems MH is a waste.

anyways here is my shot of the basic recipe, then scaled up to 12 gallons for my setup.

going to brew Saturday and going to lhbs tomorrow any input welcome!

basic 5 gallons

Sculpin IPA 5 gal - American IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.014
ABV: 7.1%
Bitterness: 98.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 75% 15 L

1 oz Amarillo FWH
.5 oz Columbus @ 90 min
.5 oz Magnum @ 60 min
.25 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
.25 oz Columbus @ 60 min
.5 oz Crystal @ 30 min
.25 oz Centennial 1@ 30 min
.25 oz Simcoe @ 30 min
1 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
2 oz Amarillo dryhop
2 oz Simcoe dryhop

===========================================

Sculpin IPA 12 gal - American IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 12.000 gal
Boil Size: 13.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.014
ABV: 7.1%
Bitterness: 101.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

28.8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain
1.2 lbsCara-Pils/Dextrine Grain
2.4 lbsCaramel/Crystal Malt - 15L Grain

2.4oz Amarillo @ FWH
1.2 oz Columbus @ 90
1.2 oz Magnum @ 60
.6 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
.6 oz Columbus @ 60
1.2 oz Crystal @ 30
.6 oz Centennial 1@ 30
.6 oz Simcoe @ 30
2.4 oz Amarillo @ 0
4.8 oz Amarillo dryhop
4.8 oz Simcoe dryhop

I ran it by him and he said it looks pretty good. He said the hopping was more important than the grains. I'm sure the grains change slightly from year to year depending on price. Yours looks fine for an ipa, give it a go.

cool, i'm gonna give it a go. i had sculpin one time at a bar here on tap, it was really good. i am going to have to pick up a bottle to compare!

with the sheer aroma and punch this beer has, I have a hard time believing its only a 1oz flameout addition. that blows my mind

well its been in the primary for 5 weeks with last 2 weeks with dryhops. kegged this 2 days ago and put on gas last night. gonna tap it this weekend, this beer smells really good i can't wait!!!! and ive got 10 gallons of it :)

the brew day went awsome, hit all the numbers perfect and it feremented down to 1.012 which is 7.3-7.5% abv!!

has anyone else brewed this? results?

Really, 8 different hop varieties? And 6 of them are a half ounce each or less? Seems unnecessarily complicated, but maybe there's some sort of magic going on there...

anyways i tapped the keg and this beer is great, up front sharp bitterness. ive only had sculpin once a while ago, but i went down to this bar najas place i go to alot, they have an ipa festival going on and had sculpin on tap. this recipe is defiantly the one, my homebrew is pretty much spot on to the one i had at najas. i like mine better and so did my friend :) nothing like fresh hopped homebrew

I have a question about the North Star recipe from Beer Advocate (on page 2 of the thread).

The first hop addition reads:

Hops

It was my understanding that Mash Hopping greatly reduces utilization. Where is the 45.6 IBUs coming from?

I have a question about the North Star recipe from Beer Advocate (on page 2 of the thread).

The first hop addition reads:

Hops

It was my understanding that Mash Hopping greatly reduces utilization. Where is the 45.6 IBUs coming from?

don't know. i decided to use them as FWH.

Just brewed a batch based off of this recipe last night. Currently it is bubbling like mad and leaving a nice alcohol smell in the room. I went with:
6# extra light dme
1# caravienna
7 oz maltadextrin
Boil 60 min:
.5 oz warrior
.5 oz magnum
.5 oz Columbus
Boil 30:
1 oz centennial
Flameout:
1 oz amarilo

I pitched with Nottingham.

I made this on March 6, dry hopped it with centennial on March 20 without racking it to a secondary and let it sit there until May 8. I've only had a few so far, but it is so tasty. My brother in law called it his favorite beer right now. I call it the Hoppicratic Oath. I'll put the entire recipe in my drop down.

New to this forum. Been brewing for a little over a month. Have an Irish Red Ale in bottles (extract kit). Turned out great. Have a hoppy red imperial IPA in the secondary (partial mash). I'm planning to do a Sculpin clone as my next brew. Hope to be doing a full grain brew in a bag in the next two weeks. I have been recovering yeast from bottle conditioned beers. I'm fortunate to be able to culture it in a microbiology laboratory, so its clean. Have a Stone IPA and a Bear Republic Racer 5. Used the Stone yeast for my Red Imperial IPA. Was planning to use the Racer 5 for this one. It is purportedly like WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale Yeast). Any opinions on that. I love the Racer 5 flavor profile.

However, I did just pick up a sampler pack of 8 22oz Ballast Point beers that has Sculpin in it. I could try to recover that one. Does anyone know if their yeast is proprietary of if it is a White Labs standard? I notice everyone is using WLP001 and they seem to have gotten that suggestion from the Ballast Point.

Thanks. I will use that yeast rather than my recovered one.

I did this clone as an all grain BIAB. Seemed to go well but I missed my targets: OG = 1.065 instead of 1.076. I pitched the recovered yeast from a fresh bottle of Sculpin IPA (I guess I lied when I said I would use WLP001 unless that is what this is, some say its WLP028).

The day after I brewed I tasted my first bottle of Red IPA that I did with recovered Stone IPA yeast and it was horrible. I suspected from the tastes on transfer to the secondary and to bottles. Strong taste of apple cider vinegar and rubber. Made me very nervous. I suspect the problem was the yeast I recovered. There were very few viable yeast from that bottle.

Well, this one is wonderful. 6 days after pitching I am down to 1.090, exactly the amount below my target FG that I was below my target OG. And the beer tastes great. Hoppy, dry, malty goodness (flat and warm but who's complaining).

So, I'll toss the Stone yeast and try that one again. The Sculpin yeast is a keeper.

6 days after pitching I am down to 1.090, exactly the amount below my target FG that I was below my target OG. And the beer tastes great. Hoppy, dry, malty goodness (flat and warm but who's complaining).

That should be 1.009, of course.

Tried recipe listed above about two and a half months ago. Fudged the hop bill a bit, but it worked out beautifully. The sediment was extreme, though. I didn't realize (as someone new to brewing) that the dry-hopping adds a TON to the sediment and that another fermentation is probably best. That said - after a month, the flavor was a bit sweet and citrusy; after two months it was amazing, and the clarity was enhanced giving it a dusty-orange color. Many thanks for the recipes!

The day after I brewed I tasted my first bottle of Red IPA that I did with recovered Stone IPA yeast and it was horrible.

At a beer tasting a couple months back I talked to a guy from stone about the yeast in the bottle.. He said they filter out all the yeast prior to bottling then use a different strain just for bottling.. Might explain why it sucked??

Went to ballast point on Monday during San Diego beer week and had Habenero sculpin. Amazing stuff. I am going to use this recipe and hopefully not to many Habeneros and see what happens. If who ever has friends over there can find out what they would add to give gallons I would appreciate it greatly.

You can just call their homebrew mart on linda vista and ask them for guidence. I'm sure it's something they get asked like 5 times per day.

Back