Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > PA Breweries

Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Jota21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default PA Breweries

So my wife and I live in Pittsburgh, but she has some friends out near the Philadelphia area that she hasn't seen much since college. She wants to go visit them next month, and since i'm not eactly thrilled at the idea of driving across the state just to say hello, we've compromised to turn this into a mini-vacation and stop at some breweries on the way.

I was originally trying to work DogFish Head into the trip, but i think that's far enough out of the way, and close enough to a beach that we could do that another year and make it the sole destination.

Right now on my list is Troegs. Last summer we went to Hershey Park and went to Lancaster Brewing's restaurant, so i wouldn't mind seeing their brewery either.

Any other thoughts?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Ma2
Recipes 

What did you think of Lancaster one, I live in Lancaster, though I go to school in Wv) and want to check that out this summer once I turn 21

Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
mev
Recipes 

While i haven't been there yet, Stoudts is on my list of places to go. I haven't had their beer and don't know if it's any good, but there's an antique mall, beer garden, etc, that my wife would enjoy.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Victory should be right along your way. Also, Milton, DE (where DFH is) is only about 1 - 1.5 hours south of Philly if I remember correctly.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2976 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma2 View Post
What did you think of Lancaster one, I live in Lancaster, though I go to school in Wv) and want to check that out this summer once I turn 21
Wait! You aren't 21? You know you have to be 21 to be a member here right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Victory should be right along your way. Also, Milton, DE (where DFH is) is only about 1 - 1.5 hours south of Philly if I remember correctly.
I was going to highly recommend Victory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Jota21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma2 View Post
We didn't get to the brewery part of it, just the restaurant. Our experience wasn't the best because the manager there was a douche, but the food was good and the beer was excellent. They had a chocolate stout and also a cherry wheat and sold a beer called a 'chocolate covered cherry' which was just half of each. I improvised with my sampler rack and took a sip of each and shook it in my mouth. It was interesting, but i wouldn't ruin a good stout by doing it with a full beer.

DFH is about 2 hours south of Philly, and i'm not even sure we'll be going all the way to Philly. Her friends might meet us somewhere toward Harrisburg. I feel like we'd be going pretty far out of the way just to stop in at their restaurant, but i really want to spend the day in the town, do a brewery tour, have dinner at the pub, etc. and since it's so close to a beach, i figured we could go some other time.

Victory is added to the list.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 625 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Victory is a very good choice.

Just across the river from Philly ( about 15 minutes from CC) is Flying Fish. They make some really good beers also.

You might also want to visit Monk's. It is not a brewery but it is one of the best beer bars in the country. Great selection of Belgians. Several on tap. Food is good too.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Jota21
Recipes 

Thanks for the ideas. This isn't going to be a very long trip, and i know most breweries only offer tours at certain times of the day, and we'll want to check out the brewpubs for dinner also, so we'll be more limited that I'd like.

I've heard of flying fish, and i'd like to check it out. I have a feeling that the logistics of this trip will be dependant on each brewery's events, and how involved SWMBO's friends are going to be.

This was intended to be an inexpensive get-away, but I'm planning on a couple of nights in hotels and buying t-shirts/bar ware/beer to take home/etc... so the more places we go, the more money i'll spend.

Also, besides local events for the week (we'd be going April 21-24th-ish), i think a big factor will be hotel locations. I obviously want to be drinking, so walkable hotels would be a huge bonus in terms of where we go when.

Edit: You say Flying Fish is 15 minutes outside of CC. Does CC mean Center City? Because i think one of these friends lives in center city. If that's the case, does any type of public transportation go out that way?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yards Brewery is worth going to and actually in Philly.

http://www.yardsbrewing.com/

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2976 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There is nothing within walking distance of Victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong