All Grain Primer Article and Videos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I wanted to open up a thread here as a place to collect feedback on this overall project I've been working on. As many of you know, I had this article sitting around on my website for a while that described all grain brewing in a nutshell. I moved website servers a few months ago and eventually got around to republishing the text HERE.

Over the last couple years, I felt like I should have provided a lot more detail in the original text but decided to leave the original alone and use youtube to provide the details instead. It's been slow going but I've got the first three episodes up now.

If you like to use youtube's playlist feature, that's [ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#grid/user/D29FE33E17F07F8D"]here[/ame].

I'm completely open to criticisms of all kinds so if you see something that would make future videos better, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let's see. Ep 2 was in August and Ep 3 was done this past weekend. I think you're looking at Summer for 4. Just kidding.... I hope. I'd really like to hit these every other weekend but the editing time is what kills me.

Nice videos so far. I really liked them so far and don't mnf if they get a bit long, as long as there's some good info in there. I really like to know the science and technique involved in stuff I really get into, and your videos have provided me with a bit more knowledge so far. Thanks, and I can't wait for the upcoming videos!

Even though I have read How to Brew and I am confident I knew most of what you had said I still feel as if I learned something from your videos. I think your delivery of the information is good and by the 3rd video you can tell that you're getting more comfortable in front of the camera.
Also, I like how you use proper terminology, but also include the lay description (whether you say it or it appears on the screen). Overall I would say these are the best brewing videos I have seen so far. Can't wait for #4.

Thanks for posting this Bobby. I watched the first in the fall, and have been eagerly awaiting episode three. Great videos!

As a newer brewer (ha, that rhymes!), I think these are great. It's nice to know what is going on scientifically, and it helps to have an experienced brewer explain how everything works. I'm looking forward to #4.

Nothing I have read so far has "clicked" the way your videos and primer article have. Thanks Bobby!

I agree. Three years ago I read "How to Beer" and "Joy of" and still wasn't comfortable with AG. I joined HBT, read your AG primer, and went out and built an MLT the next day....

:mug:

Well done! I am looking at starting my first all grain and this is helping fill in the gaps in my knowledge. Looking forward to the next video.

When's video 4??

+1

I just started all-grain brewing a month or so ago and your videos have been some of the most helpful I've come across in terms of figuring out the process. Thanks for taking the time to put this stuff online.

Edit: Aside from your videos on the brewing process, the Beertools Pro videos were hugely helpful, It saved me from having to figure the software out for myself when I'm still really new to the brewing process itself. So thanks.

I am new to brewing and watched your vids before I even found this site, I think you have done a great job and need to keep them coming! I have learned a lot from you thanks.

Excellent stuff. I already understood the generalized ideas but you did an excellent job describing the actual chemistry behind how it all works. Well done, sir.

Anyone else want to put a vote in for Bobby to take a sick day at work and finish part 4?!

---Chris

Thanks for the effort bobby!
I read and watched all your stuff several times before my first all grain and it helped a ton.I still reference it from time to time.
good stuff for sure

Excellent stuff. I already understood the generalized ideas but you did an excellent job describing the actual chemistry behind how it all works. Well done, sir.

Anyone else want to put a vote in for Bobby to take a sick day at work and finish part 4?!

---Chris

I think it's more Brewhardware.com than my day job. I was pretty sure every homebrewer on earth had one of my sight glasses a few months ago but I'm in error there. When I get a little slack, I usually choose to brew.

I referenced your earlier AG brew vids and the primer when I was starting out. The equipment back then is very similar to what many start out with so it was of great value. I think a lot of people have been helped by your efforts. Just wanted to say thanks.

Latest posts

Back