Associate degree. job needed. ideas? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Associate degree. job needed. ideas?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

So i am working on a BS but have an AA right now and need a job. most of my classes have been biology based and I have plenty of math in my past but I can't think of any kind of job to look for that i might be able to enjoy or at least not want to kill myself working at, if there are even any jobs out there.

I have a two year old and a 4 month old , as well as three eleven year olds from my wife's previous marriage. My wife and I are both students.

so my time is pretty important to me. I love my family and enjoy being with them as much as possible. Any job would have to be worth giving up that time. I don't NEED a job right now but I will before the year is out. I don't it can't be a full time job because of family and school but I just have no ideas of what direction to look in.

help me with your beer fueled ideas.

Past experience: 4 years as a butcher, cooked in a 4 star restaurant in Denali National park, Worked at an in home care business caring for individuals with mental retardation, worked at target warehouse for two years. a few other odds and ends but nothing else substantial.

Reason: adding experience

Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #2
Nateo

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Bennett Springs, MO
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

You haven't mentioned what skills/experience you have. A degree is meaningless (as someone who has a degree but has a completely unrelated job can attest to).

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
350_Malibu
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Aloha, OR
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
You haven't mentioned what skills/experience you have. A degree is meaningless (as someone who has a degree but has a completely unrelated job can attest to).
I agree, for example I have no degree, (but only because I have 4 years of school, but keep changing my damned mind), I have extensive schooling in computer science, etc. However I work as a database admin and manufacturing technician because of my work experience. I think it really depends on what you know. I could have a bachelors in basket weaving, but as long as I know how to admin an Oracle or MS DB, that's what I'll be getting paid for!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2009

edited above to add experience

Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
gregger
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Antelope, CA
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

but how in the hell do you have 3 eleven year olds? Are they triplets?
Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
So i am working on a BS but have an AA right now and need a job. most of my classes have been biology based and I have plenty of math in my past but I can't think of any kind of job to look for that i might be able to enjoy or at least not want to kill myself working at, if there are even any jobs out there.
How about trying to get a job at a local brewpub? Your biology and math courses will definitely be a plus. That's what I'd shoot for. Even if you start out washing kegs, you could quickly move up to assistant brewer, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2009

The three eleven year olds are triplets, from my wife's first marriage.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
mullenite
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Gainesville, Fl
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Have you talked to your school Career Counselor?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
McGarnigle

Recipes 

Jul 2008
NYS
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts

As much as people talk about the degree not mattering, I think in many instances it does. I work at a small business where no one cares about where you went to school. But larger businesses and the government have a reputation for "credentialism." They want you to have a degree even if it really doesn't affect your ability to do the job.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2195 Times on 768 Posts

Do you like food service? I know there are jobs in research for the lab end of things.

Register Now!