Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Primary Ferment Question/Concern!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
apreswho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary Ferment Question/Concern!

Brand new to the forum/long time lurker in need of help!

So basically i set out last week to brew an imperial IPA, and i sort of concocted my own recipe using a few different clones i like and the recipe calculator at hopville. I had set out to make a 3 gallon batch in case in came out awful...anyway, all went well during the brew, but to achieve the OG i was looking for i had to add enough water to make it a 5 gallon batch. Placed in fermenter (plastic bucket) at room temp. I had bubbles in the airlock for about two days but nothing since.

My concern is since i had intended on making a 3 gallon batch, is there not enough fermentables in the now 5 gallon brew and is that why fermentation has seemed to halt? i looked in the bucket and all looks well. Any other theories/how to i fix this? I have not yet taken another gravity reading as i was waiting until secondary time to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

We'll need the recipe, what yeast, and what temp you fermented at. Gravities if possible

Old 02-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
apreswho
Recipes 

as far as fermentables goes, there was 3.3 lbs of light lme, 1 lb carapils 1 lb munich and .5 lb aromatic in the preboil tea/partial mash. 2 lbs of honey added at flame out. I used whitelabs WLP001. The other thing that has been different than my other batches of homebrew was that i let it sit over night (though covered) to come down to a reasonable temp before added water and pitching yeast, though i couldnt figure out any reason why this would have done harm

also, the OG based on the recipe was supposed to be 1.02, and the actual OG was 1.024

Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
apreswho
Recipes 

just realized my own stupid mistake, nevermind!