This has to be one of the most insidious hobbies ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insidious. Absolutely the best word, ever. And so very applicable.

Dude was that a simpsons reference? Mad props if it was.

I was just watching a slightly DVR'ed episode about an hour delay, where the "Comicbook Gay" (the Comicbook Guy's cousin), said "Most insidious stereotype ever".

It only gets worse. Its almost like being addicted to drugs. Brewing for 20 years now
and still buying and adding ****. Never ends and lovin it.

Hey, have you seen what they have at Midwest Supply? Neat equipment! Great place for kits too. How about at Northern Brewer? $7.99 shipping there. Ooh, lookit that pretty kettle. It's bigger than the one you have and soooo sexy. Hey, for only a grand I could set up ........

Yup, it insidious.

Ya, I just thought golf was addictive and "insidious". I know I'll never master brewing or golf, but its fun trying.

If you add up the total costs for your first few batches (including all equipment), the price per bottle will go up and be a lot more than you could buy a decent craft beer in the store.

If you stay committed, you can eventually get it down to the price of a can of Milwaukee.

i totally agree. ive constantly been buying extra equiptment and supplies since i started too. and there is still more that i want to buy as well.

ill either be drunkard or own a brewery before its all over.

Me too. I'm still brewing 2 gallon batches in my Mr. Beer fermenter (but not using their kits) and I swear each batch costs at least $25 to $50 in new equipment, not counting the ingredients.

I have a Tap a Draft, bottles in different sizes, an Erlenmeyer flask and a home made stir plate, silicone tubing, a bottling wand, thermometers, and I'm looking at a temperature controller for my old chest freezer so I can brew during the summer. I've been doing this for ... let's see ... a little over two months now. Batch #5 just went into the fermenter.

i totally agree. ive constantly been buying extra equiptment and supplies since i started too. and there is still more that i want to buy as well.

ill either be drunkard or own a brewery before its all over.

Even if you have only brewed one batch in a best brew bucket umm dont you already own a brewery?:mug::drunk:

I started brewing 4 weeks ago. I've currently got 4 batches in different stages. I have 3 fermentors and 2 better bottles. Over the next 3 weeks I will have batches ready to bottle. As I bottle I will brew another back the next day. Every week I'm looking at different recipes and trying to figure out what I'm going to make next. It's a ridiculously addictive hobby.

I just took up photography so hopefully that will help curb the addiction.

I started with Mr. Beer did 1 batch came out great loved the beer. But have already moved to 5 gal batches and ALWAYS buy at least one new piece of equipment a week.
I am trying to figure out a way to just hook myself up to the fermentor and just carb in my stomach if I can do that then it would truly be an advancement in home brewing LOL

Ya, I just thought golf was addictive and "insidious". I know I'll never master brewing or golf, but its fun trying.
i

I feel your pain.....

My two main addictions..

Beer and golf...DUH. look at my SN..

Me too. I'm still brewing 2 gallon batches in my Mr. Beer fermenter (but not using their kits) and I swear each batch costs at least $25 to $50 in new equipment, not counting the ingredients.

I have a Tap a Draft, bottles in different sizes, an Erlenmeyer flask and a home made stir plate, silicone tubing, a bottling wand, thermometers, and I'm looking at a temperature controller for my old chest freezer so I can brew during the summer. I've been doing this for ... let's see ... a little over two months now. Batch #5 just went into the fermenter.

Geez man. Get a 5 gallon bucket fermenter to go along with all that other stuff. Its too much work for only 2 gallons. That barely fills up a Tap a draft bottle.

I am two weeks in and have two batches going I took a vacation day Friday to brew as I could not wait until Monday. Now, I am traveling for work and feel almost as bad leaving my beers behind as my wife and kids.

It is a horrible hobby. The result is a liquid which just makes you dumber and fatter.

Completely terrible

Please send all the equipment you have to me as I will safely dispose of all of it......

Geez man. Get a 5 gallon bucket fermenter to go along with all that other stuff. Its too much work for only 2 gallons. That barely fills up a Tap a draft bottle.

The Mr. Beer fermenter has great WAF (wife acceptance factor) and fits perfectly on my kitchen counter. Anything bigger would likely have to go in the garage, and it's too cold for that right now. Besides, I'm still in the process of seeing how many mistakes I can make. I now know for instance, that a light simmer won't get the hops to do their thing correctly

Every one of my orders looks like this:

2x Ingredients for a 5gallon batch
$50 unplanned equipment expenditure

Yes all the expenses add up exponentially as you sink into the quicksand of homebrewing...

But wait...think about it just for a minute....if you were not homebrewing, just where would that unlimited supply of disposable income be destined for?

That's right - to pay for the advertising costs of the Macro-Swilleries that the rest of the sheep, cattle, goats and fireflies are homing in on....

Be independent, proud and penniless!

The Mr. Beer fermenter has great WAF (wife acceptance factor) and fits perfectly on my kitchen counter. Anything bigger would likely have to go in the garage, and it's too cold for that right now. Besides, I'm still in the process of seeing how many mistakes I can make. I now know for instance, that a light simmer won't get the hops to do their thing correctly

No room for a 5 gallon bucket in a closet somewhere?

Just throw some shoes away. LOL.

Every one of my orders looks like this:

2x Ingredients for a 5gallon batch
$50 unplanned equipment expenditure

Well it only makes sense to get to the $100 limit to get the free shipping!

Hell, if that logic works for SWMBO "saving" $20 on a $150 purse why shouldn't it work for us!

No room for a 5 gallon bucket in a closet somewhere?

Just throw some shoes away. LOL.

My closets ... well, things fall out when I open the doors. And I've already got Tap a Draft bottles and regular bottles conditioning in odd places.

Actually I am planning on getting a bucket or something soon, maybe I can hide it behind the couch.

I started brewing a year ago and it hasn't gone away. I've spent weeks eating nothing but raman and mac and cheese so I could have some kegs and two new batches

Just wait until you decide to go the more 'economical' route of the DIY'er. Great excuse to buy new tools though.

addictive, just like this forum..

I'll tell you what's addictive about this forum. The way you people tap into my mind. Any question. ANYTHING has been 100% answered here.

Here. Let me test it. Give me "ghost pepper brew"....

Yep... someone's already done it.

I'm in the same situation! First beer will be bottled in a couple weeks...

Beware of the DIY forum. There's about 30 things I want to make (I've already made that stir plate just because I could ;)). Once you peek in, though... the pictures will make you stay.

I'm in the same situation! First beer will be bottled in a couple weeks...

Beware of the DIY forum. There's about 30 things I want to make (I've already made that stir plate just because I could ;)). Once you peek in, though... the pictures will make you stay.

the DIY forum is insidious, addictive AND contagious..

I am a fan of building while you go, but....

Lets see, I got lucky on Craigs list and found a used set 5GAL all grain. That was my starter kit for $350. It was a great deal because the guy had everything in pristine condition. Must have used it twice.

Now I do 10GAL all grain, I have a march pump, a RIMS with PID, counter flow chiller, 4 keg kegerator from TRUE, built a fermentation chamber with PID, and have a 15GAL conical fermenter.

I figure I am now in it for $1500.

My wife was just saying the other day, "I thought this was supposed to save us money on beer?" I told her to not get caught up in the details and that I had to have all of these things. She knows I'm full of it, but she puts up with it. She asked me why I always have to pick the expensive hobby since I love golf and now brewing beer. I already planted the seed for a keezer in her mind, but she doesn't know how much the entire process will cost. She'll only know about the initial cost of the freezer I get. If I can get one off of craigslist for $75 to $50 she won't pay attention. It's all about playing the game...............*evil laugh*

Yeah my SWMBO asks me how exactly I'm saving money with this hobby, to which I respond by asking her how another pair of shoes saves us money.

I'll tell you what's addictive about this forum. The way you people tap into my mind. Any question. ANYTHING has been 100% answered here.

Thankfully the homebrewtalk sever is decently fast, and it's search function works well. This instant question gratification doesn't slow the addiction though. :mug:

edb23 said:
I started brewing a year ago and it hasn't gone away. I've spent weeks eating nothing but raman and mac and cheese so I could have some kegs and two new batches

Story of 2011 for me so far. I've eaten ramen pretty much every day so far so I could afford my new 20gal kettle, 15gal conical, CFC, new propane burner, and 2 new kegs. In a few more weeks I should be able to finish my fermentation chamber and build a new kegarator. 

For most of 2010, every Internet order was for recipe items AND equipment. I am at the point now, however, that I think...yes, I do think...that I have all the equipment I need. WANTING more equipment is a whole other story! But I have decided to use what I have and NOT buy more "stuff." We'll see how long I can hold out!

glenn514:mug:

My brew partner and I are in it for about 1100$. Haven't even tasted a home brew yet! But, I do have 15 gallons fermenting in my new home-made ferm chamber and 100 beers conditioning!

Isn't funny when your friends want to pitch in for half of the ingredients and expect half of the beer!!

Go big or go home!

Back