using RO water + all grain = some kind of water profile? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > using RO water + all grain = some kind of water profile?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
dismal
Recipes 

Nov 2010
San Carlos, CA

Basically, does the process of mashing release any kind of minerals into the water by itself?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
jdoiv

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Nashville, TN

Not enough to give the enzymes or yeast the ability to work properly.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Carmel, IN
Liked 535 Times on 421 Posts

Mashing does release minerals from the grain into the wort, but the concentrations of many ions are insufficient for good fermentation performance.

Brewers should note that decoction mashing releases more minerals from the grain than does infusion mashing. The grain boiling of decoction helps break down the cell walls and release more into the wort.
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks

Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1583 Times on 1020 Posts

Amylase needs calcium to work anyway. All RO Isn't the best idea.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
VegasBrew
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

There are minerals in water that effect ph. The process the water goes through removes those minerals and can throw off the ph. RO is great for extract/steaping but for ag your better off mixing it with tap water. I would boil 2/3 of your volume the night before, tap water, and let it rest uncovered to dissipate chlorine. Most citys use chloride instead of chlorine because it stays in solution longer, if you have chloride in your water and you can taste it after the rest, if you taste chlorine then drop in a chlorine neutralizing tablet and brew away. Use RO for the balance of the water and you are generally good to go.

VB

Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 117 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismal View Post
Basically, does the process of mashing release any kind of minerals into the water by itself?
It's pretty difficult to quantify, so I just assume that it doesn't. You need to have at least 50 ppm of calcium for the yeast to be happy.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Hermit
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Alternate Universe
Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts

Go to brew science and look at the water primer sticky.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
paraordnance
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Red Deer, Alberta
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I brewed Kolsch and pilsner with 100% RO water without any ill effects that I can tell, mashed without problem, got good efficency, fermented down dry as I wanted, taste good, can't tell any difference from tap water. Speaking from a first hand experience not from since behind it. Best idea probably mix RO water with tap water

Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
dismal
Recipes 

Nov 2010
San Carlos, CA

Yeah, I was just curious if the grains themselves have significant minerals in them, I don't plan on using all RO (unless I'm doing extract), though I might start doing half RO half spring for certain beers.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
dismal
Recipes 

Nov 2010
San Carlos, CA

Hmm, just had an interesting idea. In theory, could you do something like all RO + yeast nutrient and get a healthy fermentation? Or is the problem that you need certain minerals for efficient mashing?