Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Show us your DIY stir plate!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #111
BK_856er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Do I get bonus points for showing an actual starter currently underway?

Built with a Brewers Hardware pcb, plastic project box and various parts harvested from around the house.

BK

Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #112
Overpanic
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I got excited about this project and decided to build my own as well. Here's what I came up with:

The case is something I had lying around, it looks like a cigar box but is actually a cake box (for Sacher Tortes, from Vienna). For the parts, I took apart an old Targus USB powered external laptop fan. I broke the fins off the fan, and used the USB power supply (5V) plugged into a spare iphone USB charger. A CD case provides the correct height. The magnets were something I found on our fridge, which I suspect are rare earth magnetic cubes.

It makes for a low-powered, but effective stir plate. The vortex only gets about an inch down at the highest speed, but if I really wanted to get more than that I could probably achieve it by using a higher voltage power supply.

I also made this video to show people who are interested in building their own stirplate how the distance of the magnets from the top of the box makes a big difference, and that it's not the goal to get them as close to the top of the box as possible. Also, if you're using two magnets like I am, you want them to have the opposite polarity facing up (in the video, I'm using round disc fridge magnets).

Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #113
isukendall
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put one together tonight out of a cigar box, some cheap parts from Radio Shack, a magnet, and a PC fan. Have it hooked up to a 9V battery for now, but will hardwire it later. Not the prettiest (on the inside), but it works. Wonder if anyone has done this with 9V batteries, wonder how long it will last?
Click image for larger version

Name:	stirplate1.jpg
Views:	1888
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	57420   Click image for larger version

Name:	stirplate2.jpg
Views:	2121
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	57421  

Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #114
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by isukendall
Put one together tonight out of a cigar box, some cheap parts from Radio Shack, a magnet, and a PC fan. Have it hooked up to a 9V battery for now, but will hardwire it later. Not the prettiest (on the inside), but it works. Wonder if anyone has done this with 9V batteries, wonder how long it will last?
Looks good!!! Plus I love the note to "spin if you see me"... Hahahaa

Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #115
isukendall
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Looks good!!! Plus I love the note to "spin if you see me"... Hahahaa
Yeah, that was left from the last time I made a starter. We hosted the afterparty for our city league kickball team, and had a lot of people running through the house. Figured it couldn't hurt to keep the yeast going!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #116
seafra
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default My junk laying around turned in to a Stir Plate

6 liter yeast starter on the magnetic stir plate I made from stuff laying around and an $11 junction box from Lowes. It will pull a vortex to within an inch of the stir bar.

Fan speed controller to adjust RPM. The aluminum lip serves as a drip edge to keep liquid off the speed control knob. The feet are 1 inch thick strips of neoprene so it doesn't rattle. The lid is covered in sheet rubber for a non-slip surface.

120v, 4 inch fan with two stacks of rare earth magnets super glued to the fan hub. Put a couple vents on the back and the bottom for air circulation. Glued PVC elbows to the vents so fluids can't drip inside the box.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #117
Coastie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's what I came up with.

In the fermenter:Empty

My BeerSmith Recipes.

Reason: fixed pictures.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #118
BareKnuckleBrew
Recipes 

Here is mine. Pretty simple- normal cpu fan, hard drive magnet, cheap plastic box and control knob from radio shack. The only thing that sets mine aside is the funky sticker I pinched out of my sons video game

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	1780
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	61079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	61080  

Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #119
TaylorInOK
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Gears of War is one of my favorites simply because the designers made it impossible to bunny-hop around while getting shot at.

My stir plate is Norse mythology themed centered around the mead of poetry story.

Name:	finished3stirring.jpg
Views:	1557
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	61096

Name:	xaftertop.jpg
Views:	1685
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	61097
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #120
PaintedRat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hard drive magnets and 1" stir bars. The two fans have separate speed controls but are currently sharing one power switch. I have a variable voltage DC project cord that is shared between several devices. I've been running at 4.5V for smaller starters, but I'd go 6V+ if not doing smaller than 1L.