Heatstick wattage/requirements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I need to build a heatstick to assist my electric stove. I usually do 5 gallon batches, but I want to be able to do full boils now. Here is the problem, my new brew kettle isn't completely flat on the bottom so I can't even boil 3 gallons of water on my glass stovetop now (not making good contact with the heating element).
I wanted to build a 1500W heatstick since the only 20A circuit I have in my aparment has my regular fridge and my small kegerator fridge already on it.

So the question is, do you think a 1500W element is enough to boil 6-7 gallons, with some assistance from my stove, or do I build 2000W heatstick and unplug my fridges when I brew?

Thanks

First thing I'd consider is returning your new kettle for one with a flat bottom. Then see how you do and work from that point. It's like tying one hand behind your back at this point.

First thing I'd consider is returning your new kettle for one with a flat bottom. Then see how you do and work from that point. It's like tying one hand behind your back at this point.

Well I don't think returning the kettle at this point is an option, how close would a 1500w heatstick get 6-7 gal to a boil

I would go with a 2000w, and either find another outlet for the fridge and keezer, or just unplug them for a couple of hours while you brew. Even if the 1500 works, it may be a bit slow. A fridge / keezer can safely be unplugged for a "while" before the contents warms objectionably.

It took me over an hour to get from tap water to 160 (6Gallons) with a 1500W element. I would not recommend a 1500W. Go 2000W with a dedicated circuit. That may not be an option, which simply means electric brewing is not an option. Or you could just unplug your two refrigerators while the element is running. a Few hours unplugged won't ruin you food. Just remember to plug it back in.

Yeah, I think I will just go with the 2000W and unplug the fridges.

Thanks for all the responses

Back