worst noob screw up ever. my beer IS ruined - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > worst noob screw up ever. my beer IS ruined

Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #21
rycov
Recipes 

Feb 2010
conway SC., South Carolina
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

(not dissagreeing about the mesh thing, i dont know. just about the fear part )
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #22
vicegrip

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Arkansas

Don't dump it.....its beer....ya don't just dump beer... well for this reason any way. rack it and strain it a couple times and you'll be fine.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
League City, Tx
Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts

Actually, you don't really even need the mesh since you have gravity on your side. Glass doesn't float. As long as you don't go after the last little bit at the bottom you should be fine.

I'm used to dealing with 0-G stuff at work where I would be very concerned about glass. However, we haven't tried home-brew on ISS yet.

BTW: From what I hear, carbonation is really hard on the stomach on-orbit.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
Bithead
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Southern, NJ
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

glass shard ale...none for me thanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #25
jason81
Recipes 

Feb 2011
st catharines, ontario
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

haha glass ale, well its still fermenting i think i will rack to secondary and strain it and leave a few inches at the bottom that way il still get some beer and get to see how it turns out, im not scared, i think il be drinking this by myself though. picked up some ingredients today and a new hydrometer and will be brewing an oatmeal stout tomorrow, and maby do a cider this week too, im thinking somthin similar to the graff recipe maby

Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #26
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
But straining a beer through fine mesh would cause oxidation and ruin the beer anyway in my opinion.
Not saying the mesh strainer is a great idea for getting out the glass, but, wouldn't putting the mesh over the end of the cane that goes into the wort avoid oxidation?!?!? If not, it's possible, I have completely misunderstood oxidation to this point!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #27
TheSeether
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Fargo, AK
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The piece of paper that came with my hydrometer specifically states the ballast weight is made from stainless steel and should pose no risk if it were to come in contact with my serving liquids.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #28
jason81
Recipes 

Feb 2011
st catharines, ontario
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thats good, il check the label on mine i just picked up another one today

Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #29
bovineblitz

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Binghamton, NY
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaydaw View Post
Your beer is not ruined. I would not dump this beer. Some measure might need to be taken that otherwise shouldnt, but I wouldnt give up on it. My only real concern from your post is the glass that could potentially be in the beer. Why not just strain it when transferring to bottling bucket/keg? I have a strainer that is fine enough that no glass would get through. Yes would would be introducing oxygen to the beer, but at least you would HAVE beer! Not a terrible mistake in my opinion. Drink it fast and I doubt you see any ill effects.
Dude, there are shards of glass in that beer. There is no way in hell I would risk drinking glass shards for anything.

Small/very sharp shards can go through strainers and even get stirred up and float around with just a little agitation.

Not worth it IMO.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #30
TheSeether
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Fargo, AK
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just put a label on each bottle that says, "Drink at your own risk". Maybe call it Red Flag and put pictures of red flags with glass shards diagrammed on the flags. Sounds like an instant hit with the lifeguards.